TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow TL owners ok lets get straight to the point my tl1000s is at the mechanics 2 x heads later lap and lash set to spec the bike starts on the turn how ever at idle on ignition on rear cylinder and front cylinder exhaust cold rev up exhaust gets hot back to idle exhaust gets cold again and rough sound rev up sounds right as both cylinders firing any ideas out there what could possibly be the problem ?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Im not sure what you mean, here.. What do you mean gets hotter as you rev the engine? Its natural that the entire exhaust gets hotter when you rev the engine, all the way from the headers to the cans.. And the left can is normally colder than the right one..

Please try to explain your problem further..

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
If I understand the description correctly the statement is the bike is only firing on one pot when idling????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any codes being thrown? Also what do the plugs look like.
Plug fine in that no oil on it connection good and firm plug cover no codes previous owner says it is a tlr1000 bottom end with tl1000s top I am unsure of compatibility between two motors if any difference at all ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not sure what you mean, here.. What do you mean gets hotter as you rev the engine? Its natural that the entire exhaust gets hotter when you rev the engine, all the way from the headers to the cans.. And the left can is normally colder than the right one..

Please try to explain your problem further..
Hi
Sorry bud it only firing on rear cylinder at idle hence there is heat in the rear header at idle the front header is cold to touch save the ambient temperature of the casing. When you throttle up it is like the spark is finally detonating the fuel if this makes any sense ? Perhaps you could help me with the next issue the previous owner says the bottom end casings and internals are from a tlr 1000 heads and cams from a tl 1000s is there any difference between engines ? Are they cross compatible? I am not a mechanic sorry

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am not terribly certain myself how well that would work. I would think if it was going to be an issue youd be made aware of by some horrible noises. Lol.
As for the plugs have you made sure you have spark from the coil? Pull the plug out and put it in the plug wire, then hold it agaist the frame and jog the starter you should see a nice blue arc if not plug the plug out and use a nail or bolt in place of the spark plug and try again this time holding it 2-4mm away from the frame if still no spark you may need a new coil which is rare but not unheard of. You can also test the resistance of the coil to make sure its ok and also check voltage on the primary side (feed) of said coil. But before all that does it smell of unburnt fuel in the exhaust? If not you may have a fuel delivery issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not terribly certain myself how well that would work. I would think if it was going to be an issue youd be made aware of by some horrible noises. Lol.
As for the plugs have you made sure you have spark from the coil? Pull the plug out and put it in the plug wire, then hold it agaist the frame and jog the starter you should see a nice blue arc if not plug the plug out and use a nail or bolt in place of the spark plug and try again this time holding it 2-4mm away from the frame if still no spark you may need a new coil which is rare but not unheard of. You can also test the resistance of the coil to make sure its ok and also check voltage on the primary side (feed) of said coil. But before all that does it smell of unburnt fuel in the exhaust? If not you may have a fuel delivery issue.
Strong spark allegedly tlr engine got different internals from a tls so one valve will always be out no matter the timing to spec luckily i got a tls bottom end to rebuild thanks for all your help

·
Registered
106 Posts
Strong spark allegedly tlr engine got different internals from a tls so one valve will always be out no matter the timing to spec luckily i got a tls bottom end to rebuild thanks for all your help
If there was a valve timing issue youd know it. It would sound like you were pumping nuts and boltsxinto it instead of fuel and air. The wsy i gather the cams are different but still driven the same way. The tlr has higher compression. Which if they used the pistons from the tlr and the heads from a tls im not sure how that would play out.
Did you happen to take notice if you smell unburnt fuel?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts