TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the difference in the clutch plates between 98-00 and 01-03 TLR? I want to get Kevlar plates but only listed for 98-00???:confused
Thanks
Robb

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
I thought they were the same, but not 100%
Just a side note though, stick with OEM plates and Barnett springs.
Lots of guys seem have bad luck with the aftermarket plates

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
probably nothing. Power Commanders have the same issue with part numbers, apparently Suzuki thought the TLR was going to be discontinued and then kept building them until 2003, some of the aftermarket vendors had to re-introduce parts for their catalogs.
Ken

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
also recommend stock plates and different springs. not sure about the R, but I was able to order a hi-perf pack from suzuki. not sure what the diff is, assuming slightly thicker plates.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
The later 6-spring clutches have one more friction plate and one more steel plate than the earlier 6-spring clutches. Plates are thinner in the later ones..

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:stupid later ones have more plates, I have no idea if you can fit a later clutch pack to an earlier basket - if it were me I'd go compare pt#'s at ronayers (the pt# lookup is handy:cool).

have fun

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
All of the baskets and pressure plates for the 6 bolt clutch are the same, so the plates must be thinner to have the same clutch pack thickness.

Stick with OEM plates

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have been running the stock plates with barnett springs with no issues. Holds up to all of the mods with no slippage.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
N2 wheelies has recently pointed out to me just how extremely critical the pack thickness is with the TL clutches, in order for the finger/ramp mechanism to operate correctly. It's not just getting the pressure plate to work like on other bikes, the pack thickness determines exactly where the fingers sit on the cam ramps, and how that mechanism will work.

·
Registered
623 Posts
i went with all new barnett(kevlar fibers,barnett steels and springs) this is in a 98 tls with 5 spring clutch 32,000 miles so far. stock about 18,000 miles

·
Registered
184 Posts
cyclecamper you said a mouthful. Any clutch with a slipper or BTL design is very sensitive to clutch stack height. That is why barnett plates suck, as their plate thicknesses are all over the place.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
ive used barnett plates without issue but ive always had to swap a few of the thick for thin steel plates to make the stack height correct. after that they will work as good as stock and are considerable cheaper.

the stockers are sure a lot more convenient.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts