TLZone Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 TL1000R
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i replaced my clutch pushrod and seal today because it was leaking oil over the summer but stopped, so i said screw it. I used the TL seal. Reading on the forums makes me wanna do the sv1000 seal. Instead of modifying the current retainer, I can just buy the sv1000 retainer and call it done? It all fits with no modifications whatsoever? That's all i really want to know before hitting the buy button. Also, any year SV1000 will work? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,754 Posts
.....Instead of modifying the current retainer, I can just buy the sv1000 retainer and call it done? It all fits with no modifications whatsoever? ....... Also, any year SV1000 will work?
That's right. An SV seal with an SV retainer, from any year of SV1000... it's all Plug and Play.

However, if you have already replaced it with a TL seal, it should be good for a few more thousand miles at least. My TLS is still running on the original pushrod seal.

·
Registered
2003 TL1000R
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok great. A future mod i will eventually do. The original seal was holding up fine until i decided to clean off the old pitted push rod. Seeing I was going to replace the rod i decided to do everything at once. 13k miles on that seal seems to be pretty good according to all the posts i've read.

·
Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,754 Posts
Yes, 13K miles is not bad.

The secret to longevity is keeping the grime off of the push rod. If the push rod is clean, the seal lasts much longer.

I'll look for a photo, but a simple fix is to slip a piece of plastic drinking straw over the push rod and flare the end of the straw that sits against slave cylinder so that it has an accordion bellows effect.
The other end of the straw rests against the seal. It keeps all of the chain lube and road grime off of the rod/seal interface, ;) and it doesn't affect clutch activation.

·
Registered
2003 TL1000R
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried the straw thing but the straws i had didn't fit over the rod. Maybe I'll have to go to the store and find some or go to mcdonalds.It is a really good idea though, I think the whole design for the clutch push rod is pretty poor. They should of isolated the pushrod from the open area. I will be going back in there again probably in the spring to install my new sprockets and 420 chain. Riding season is just about over here in Massachusetts.

·
Registered
2003 TL1000R
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the great info guys. I will definitely be doing this sooner or later. So far the standard tl seal is holding up just fine, but we will see. Seals are cheap enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts