TLZone Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys think about this?
when I shift from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and a little from 3rd to 4th the transmission seems notchy as if I did not pull in the clutch. the transmission is perfect on the downshifts but its the upshifts that this occurs. I pull the clutch lever just prior to rolling-off the throttle then lift on the shifter which correctly disengages the previous gear but then gets hung up for a moment then clicks into the next gear. :O
but if I roll-off the throttle just prior to pulling in the clutch the shift up to the next gear if fine.:dowhat

what do you guys think is the culpret, my clutch or the gearshift cam stopper? I do appreciate all your responses.

:bwtiller :cheers

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Sounds like your clutch isn't disengaging properly.

If your sat at the lights how far off the bar is the lever before it starts to bite ? My bet is it's trying to move with the lever still at the bar ?

Probably your clutch line needs bleeding and or the clutch slave cylinder needs stripping/cleaning/overhauling due to the water, crap and chain lube that gets thrown at it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that sounds encouraging.
My clutch bites way out at the end, away from the grip. I have bled this thing and replaced the springs but it is still the same. I have new plates, will reuse the steels, and am wondering if that will correct the action and my shifting problem?
The slave cylinder is something I cleaned but not that thoroughly, so I should take it apart as well then give it a shot before replacing my plates. I am feeling:O about this issue.

Is the clutch release point and indicator of one thing more than another?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just like NEW, thanks

Fiche-man,
It was the clutch slave cylinder, finally my clutch is back to mornal and gawd damn does it feel go to be able to feed it in slowly.

Folks is your clutch acting up? Mine was, it had all I mean all it's action out furthest away from the bar. I would pull it in about .75" and bam it was completely dissengaged like a light switch is on-and-off so was my clutch. It would not up shift with out clicking but down shifted fine.
The FIX, take the slave cylinder off the engine, the cap off the master cylinder and opened the bleeder then let it completely drain over night. Thats right walked away.
Remove the pistion from the slave cylinder and clean it and the slave cylinder. I used a fine scotch pad and brake fluid to remove the build up then cleaned it all with a clean cloth and brake fluid. Put everything back together, lubed up of course, and began the bleeding process. With some vigerous clutch action all the bubbles are gone and I have all the feel back in my clutch. I am telling you it is like brand f-n new.

Now when the cold weather gets here I will change out my plates and be done with it. On to the next project for the tiller.

Awsome guys, thank you:banana :clap

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Well Done Mate :cheers

Not sure how easy it is to get over there, but after a few years of looking I finally managed to get a tub of red rubber grease, which is perfect for calipers and anything involving rubber seals and brake fluid. Assemble with that instead of brake fuid. Did my 6-Pots and they're brilliant, the wheel spins so smoothly when the bikes of the floor cos for once the pads can retract back into the calipers without sticking :devious

1 - 5 of 5 Posts