TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While I was removing the 2nd spring to install my Barnetts a washer fell out:dowhat. The previous owner had put washers behind the stock springs to shim them and try to stop slippage. It didn't work:laugh. If it hadn't dropped out I would have installed my new heavy duty springs with shims:dowhat. The other washers were a real prick to get out, so if you are gonna check, be patient. I used a straightened paper clip, with a tiny hook on the end. It was too big, so I bent it into an even smaller, right-angled hook:laugh.

I imagine shimming new Barnett springs would make for a stiffer clutch action:O.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Yeah it's like preloading the springs. But it does shorten travel.. and that might induce creeping at the lights? :O

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This thread is here to help the people who have said they have problems with their clutch being too heavy after installing Barnett springs. I'm not advocating shimming them. Quite the opposite, I'm saying if they're there, take them out...

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Ah, like that!

Well I'm thinking if that would actually make a difference if the springs are linear :confused I thought so, but I'm not sure now?

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Considerations:

Stiffer springs or shimming stock springs raises the required transmitted torque to actuate the finger/ramp mechanism (which retracts the spring-post base and thus increases the preload on the clutch pack).

If you shim to much and the coils bind when the mechanism actuates and squeezes the springs, the engine power will break the clutch pressure plate and break the clutch cover and usually the engine cases too. The coil-bind condition is not obvious when working on the clutch, unles you take into account that in use the spring-posts retract farther when you accelerate.

Longer springs with a heavier rate are generally preferred over lighter ones shimmed. If you achieve the same pressure on the pack both ways, the more compressed shimmed ones will be harder to hold with the clutch lever pulled in fully.

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
.... The other washers were a real prick to get out, so if you are gonna check, be patient. I used a straightened paper clip, with a tiny hook on the end. It was too big, so I bent it into an even smaller, right-angled hook:laugh.
Is that because you were replacing them one at a time?
Why not just pull them all together then take the plate off & dump it upside down?
Et Volia! :devious

·
Registered
83 Posts
I noticed the same thing after installing barnett springs. So I brought a hydro system from a R of the Zone and now everything is sweet

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
:banghead I think most of you are missing the point of this thread.

I do not have any issues with my Barnett springs. I think they are brilliant.

I am not advocating shimming Barnett springs.

I am not asking for help getting shims out. It's done.

The whole point is that there were some posts a while ago about someone having trouble with their clutch being too stiff after installing Barnett springs.

So, all I am saying is check and see if the stock springs were shimmed, and make sure the shims didn't stay behind. To do this I thought it would be easier to just check one, rather than take the whole basket off.

**** me, I've just re-read my first two posts; How can I make it any plainer...:bash....:coocoo

Here's my second post for those who missed it:
This thread is here to help the people who have said they have problems with their clutch being too heavy after installing Barnett springs. I'm not advocating shimming them. Quite the opposite, I'm saying if they're there, take them out

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
But if those godamotherfucking Barnett springs do need shims will you need advice about how to leave them in? Nevermind, jest ****in' wit' 'ya. What can I say, business is slow.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:tongue goodonya mate, if you can't have a laugh then you're a miserable SOB and can far coff :lol

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I bet mine had shims in, the barnetts were a bugger to compress.
I'll find out on sataday

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:banana:banana A RESULT! I hope this thread will help make your bike more enjoyable - a dodgy clutch is a PITA:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts