TLZone Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, and carrying on from my other thread (TLS Back Today! -) I pulled the clutch cover today to see if I could fix an oil leak (97 TLS).
However, and having done a bit of research on this site, I finally figured it out - my cover is not a 97 (locator tab facing in toward the clutch itself) but a 98+ (locator tab facing away from the clutch toward a bolt hole). Having checked out some pics by Rifleman I could also tell from the internal 'webbing' that I have 98+ cover.
Thing is Mike, the tech that done my rebuild, replaced all the gaskets and o-rings, including this one. However, he obviously thought (wrongly as it now turns out) that as it was a 97 bike with 97 motor it would need a 97 o-ring! So, having got the new o-ring (with the correct part number for a 97) he fits it to my (I now know) 98+ cover, he notices the locator tab doesn't line up but assumes, because it is the correct number, that it is an updated version for the 98 cover and simply removes it before fitting. He thinks he's fitting a 98 o-ring to a 97 cover but, in fact, he is doing the reverse!!! And it won't seal because it is too thin!! So he seats it again with the addition of a gasket sealant but it still leaks (but not til I get home with the bike!).
Now I will have to order the correct (98) o-ring and, hopefully, with a bit of careful assembly, some sealant, etc, that will be that.

What I'm saying, I suppose, is what a bloody carry on with these covers, what the flippin' eck were Suzuki thinking of!!!

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts
Whoo hoo! :banana I was right! What do I win? :laugh Glad you got it figured out and can get back to riding soon. :thumbup

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You sure were right!!! :hail But bear in mind we were thinking we were dealing with a 97 cover (me included:dowhat )
You win my utmost respect and a big cigar - if ever we meet!:laugh :laugh

Doc

Whoo hoo! :banana I was right! What do I win? :laugh Glad you got it figured out and can get back to riding soon. :thumbup

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
yeah, got to be smarter then the average suzuki wrench monkey... and sometimes that isn´t too hard.

funny thing is they should know that, because if they replace, (or if the cover has been replaced for any reason) they will all be the 98 or newer cover and will need the newer O-ring...

that´s why I do most of my work... goodness knows all the one-off stuff that they would be scratching their noggins about.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
So, just to recap, can you use a '98+ seal on/in a '97 cover:O I didn't know there was a diff' in thickness of the seal :dowhat

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I would say a blind would see that the very thin 97 O-ring can't seal in 98+ cover. The groove is deeper than the O-ring diameter :coocoo
But as rifleman stated... my 2nd TLS came with exactly this wrong, leaking combination as well.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a 97 o-ring in a 98+ cover, that was the problem all along:coocoo , the 97 o-ring is real skinny compared to the 98. I put them side by side today and the difference is significant. Thing is, we thought as I had a 97 bike it was a 97 cover, it didn't occur to me (and it should have) that a previous owner might have upgraded it.
Oh well, that's what comes with being a daft old git I suppose:laugh :laugh
Yes, I think you can use the 98 o-ring in the 97 cover.

So, just to recap, can you use a '98+ seal on/in a '97 cover:O I didn't know there was a diff' in thickness of the seal :dowhat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts