TLZone Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night on the way from work, I pulled the clutch in at a light to put it into gear an I heard and felt a "click". Got home and looked at the lever and saw like 2-3 strands complete cut through. The little cylinder that the cable is connected to at the end that goes into the lever itself was splitting and 3 strainds had been cut through.:O :O Go figure!?

Oh well, I'm going to replace the cable and maybe even the worm drive (since I never have) Do you have any suggestions as to what I should look out for? Is pulling and re-installing the cable a pain in the butt. Oh yeah, I had a question about my adjuster. It is almost impossible to turn in or out without having to use a freakin pair of plyers. same goes for the brake adjuster. What's up with that.:confused :confused

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Replacing the cable and worm drive shouldn't take more than 30 minutes or so. Super simple, just be sure to adjust the worm drive and cable slack as per the specs in the manual.

No idea why the cable adjuster doesn't turn well, threads gunked up I would guess - should be pretty obvious if you take the cable out and unscrew it all the way.

Probably the most common cause of cable failure is the little led ball on the lever end seizing in the lever, then everytime you pull the clutch in the cable has to make a sharp bend there and its not long till it breaks. I pack the lever with grease then install the cable, seems to work out well.

have fun

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Whenever I oil my chain, I make sure a shot of WD40 goes on that ball at the end of the cable too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That just happened to my clutch cable a couple of weeks ago. Except it was the last three strands, not the first three. Fortunately, I was three feet from my garage when it happened.

Because the cable is finished on both ends, you have to buy the whole assembly, with the tension adjuster and the cable housing. It's like 14 bucks. Re-pulling the cable is a five minute job. Just tape the bottom of the new cable assembly to the top of the old assembly, and pull from the worm gear.

You might as well replace the worm gear, since you're ordering parts anyway. I wish I had.

I think mine broke because the cylindrical nub was bound in the clutch lever, and it just fatigued. Thought it was a fluke as there was nothing on this board about it that I could find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts