TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two weeks ago I started hearing a clicking noise coming from the front end of the bike. However when I applied the brake I found that the clicking would stop. First thought was that there was a problem with my brake pads, I inspected the pads and found nothing wrong. Come to find out that a few of my floating rotor clamps are loose.
Am I able to recompress these clamps? (Not sure if clamps is the right term for this.)

Thanks
Argel

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
oem's?

just buy new ones.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Its supposed to have a good bit of float and as they wear they get a bit more float. Unless the rotor is in jepordy of falling off the carrier its not something to be worried about imho. Some clicking/clanking is normal as the pads hit their retainers and the rotors move on the floating buttons.

good luck

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mine click on both my 01 750 and 02 TLR. Its just one click at the end of a stop. I was weirded out too about it. I inspected everything and made sure everything was tight. It was and my pads look fine. I think its just a greese thing or something.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
The racers hammer on 'em to make 'em looser.

If you really want to, you can grind off the stock ones, and put on new reusable spiroloks with shims and wave-washers to keep it quiet.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Cyclecamper - now you tell me :) I just bought new rotors cos my bobbins are clicking. Guess I'll save the old rotors then!

Kazz - that'll be the bobbins ... they're 'slipping' in the direction of rotation when you brake, as they get loaded up by the braking forces then let go suddently & click. I got the same problem. Apparently, the mechanic said the bobbin can give up the ghost & the wheel will spit your rotor off or something :)

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Last time I bought them from Performance Machine.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Kamikuza said:
Cyclecamper - now you tell me :) I just bought new rotors cos my bobbins are clicking. Guess I'll save the old rotors then!

Kazz - that'll be the bobbins ... they're 'slipping' in the direction of rotation when you brake, as they get loaded up by the braking forces then let go suddently & click. I got the same problem. Apparently, the mechanic said the bobbin can give up the ghost & the wheel will spit your rotor off or something :)
Well then that can't be too good. What the heck are bobbins?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts