TLZone Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have quite a few parts polished on my TLS (Heel Guards,Chain Guard,Torque arm,Brake and clutch levers,Brake and shifter pegs)And i was wondering if anyone knows of a good clearcoat to put on them that resist oil,Gas and exaust heat,Thanks:)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I know of one:) but he's no good for you, he's in Melbourne, Australia

$100aust to powder coat & sand blast a TLR frame, Swingarm and Torque arm

He does a bloody good job too.

·
Registered
813 Posts
i was always told not to clear coat polished alluminum......

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
i was always told not to clear coat polished alluminum......
:stupid

The wax in the polish means the plastic coating will not adhere to the metal :confused

·
Registered
790 Posts
Not that I'm some pro painter, but I tried and couldn't ever get it to stick. Chipped off waaay too easy. I'm guessing that clearcoat has nothing to hold onto when you've got a perfectly smooth surface.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I tested out some spray on stuff from Eastman while restoring my Guzzi. After a few years it is holding up well, the problem is it didn't settle very smooth. Bottom line, good protection but not pretty... and what's the point of polishing if it isn't pretty, eh?

·
Registered
153 Posts
hi all,now i have seen a mates bike polished and clear
coated but only problem was that after a while in the good old
english weather made the polish go bit dull.
so personlly i'd leave and just keep polishing

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,420 Posts
You can get clear powder coating.

My local powder coater can paint any colour combination in 2-pack then puts a clear powder coat on and bakes it.

Powder is a bit more durable than paint and won't chip as easily :O

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Clear annodizing might work. I've never tried it on polished stuff, but it works great on a raw machined finish and is very durable.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
You can get clear powder coating.

My local powder coater can paint any colour combination in 2-pack then puts a clear powder coat on and bakes it.

Powder is a bit more durable than paint and won't chip as easily :O

Indeed :yes , over paint, or just fine sanded metal there is no issue - but when the metal is bright polished it leaves a residue on the surface that the plastic does not adhere well to, hence my answer from personal experience (against the advice of the person who did the coating) :banghead

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts
POR-15 clear on polished aluminum is supposed to work well. Clean the metal with something along the lines of a wax remover before coating.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I checked por 15's site,They say their product dries crystal clear and repels just about everything,Think i'm gonna look into it,Thanks for the help.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts