TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have connected the brake master cylinders to the brake reservoirs with some clear tubings.
I tried to find something that could hold the brake fluid as I was worried that the fluid would be corrosive and melt the tube or something but couldn't find anything specific for this use.
Another issue I was worried was if the tuvbe is going to harden and eventually break.

Not being able to find anything special, I installed some common clear tubings and decided to watch how it reacts.

Well, it seems that the brake fluid is not going to melt the plastic clear tubing and it's not becoming hard BUT...... (hmmm... there's always a but...)

...all the length of the plastic tubing is covered with some kind of moisture. I wipe it out and after a while it's the same thing again.
A few days later, the fluid inside the tubing has become whitish like milk.
I haven't opened the reservoirs yet to see how the fluid looks inside the cans.

Looks like there is some minor leakage of brake fluid and the atmosphere's moisture sticks on that and creates those wet surface over the tube.

The question now is: Is there any specific tube for this use? Or should I go back to the black, thick and ugly OEM tubing?

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
I would stick to a braided fuel line. They make them in a clear tube also. They are a little more resistant to chemical and weather conditions around them.

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
Does anyone know why the brake tube is black to begin with and not clear?

There is a reason....

Brake fluid breaks down in sunlight.

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
Extender said:

There is a reason....

Then why are the MC's clear........and you should be changing it often enough anyways, id rather see when to change it.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Gigas, better toss the tube you're using and re-bleed the system. Sounds like it can breath or something, probably meant for water or something else other than brake fluid. The wall thickness of the rubber line would be much thicker than the clear too.

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
Tube

You can use Viton tubing, but it is very expensive.( various colors)
not found in hardware stores either.

I can't remember the other type, but it was the poly family, polypropolene or polyuerthane.

Or I'll eventually have billet resevoirs for all of them. The rear brake is done, I'm working on the clutch and the front brake will be last.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Extender said:

There is a reason....

I didn't know that!!!!
Maybe you're right but I had found some ad the other time for a clear tube exactly for this use but didn't keep the address of the site. :banghead
They said that it won't change color to yellow and it won't get harder fron chemicals, sun and weather...
In any case, I know there is something wrong in the application I have and I will find some other way.
But I do hate the black OEM tube....

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
heya gigas, sprbeast beat me to the punch but he is right. go check yoyodynes web site you can get clear tubing from them.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey beast... this is what I was hoping someone to point me to...
Exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks...

sprbeast said:
brembo makes some. at least they sell it. yoyodyne carries it. i have some coming to me from speedwerks in delaware also. from my research on the net it will not crack, harden, color, or sweat. it is made for brake fluid. http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=19.6371.26

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
Used Teflon tubing, heated it and bent it, workes perfectly

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Gigas said:
...all the length of the plastic tubing is covered with some kind of moisture. I wipe it out and after a while it's the same thing again.
I used some black tubing, probably from either the TL Petrol Tank Drain or link pipe from the rad to the expansion bottle or something and that also weeped through.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Veetwo...
I will try to find something similar in my country..
This afternnon I'll visit a shop that sells brake related things and ask if he can provide me ....

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Completely off topic!! Gigas, are you going to be in Zakynthos any time soon? I'm going to Laganas on the 13th for two weeks.

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts