TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be the new thread as of 8/09 -wanted the old thread to be big and fat but we need to make some adjustments.

The old mapping thread was a great success!

What is a Yosh map?:
Your TLR comes with Electronic Fuel Injection :wheelie
Each gear and RPM requires a certain amount of fuel for good performance this is called a map. As you change the components on your bike like the air filter and the exahaust more air is able to flow through the bike so the "map" should be adjusted for maximum gains from the mods. A good map can completely transform the power of a bike and smooth any jumpy spots in the RPM range. This map is stored in your ECU. Yoshimura (Yosh) designed a device that can change these maps referred to as a "Yosh Box". I have one of these and can map your ECU for your air filter and exhaust changes.

Trust:
Have done at least a hundred ECUs probably more without issue. The process is simple, you send me your ECU I map it and ship it back. The shipping process is provided by you and any problems with shipping is between you and the shipper. I very rarely have more than 1 ECU at a time. There should be no worries about getting ECUs mixed up because I only unpack and map them one at a time. So no need to engrave your name on it or pee on it to mark it yours. :pissright

USPS (regular mail)
Lots of ECUs come in with the same amount of return postage they used to get the ECU to me -I usually have to pitch in a couple bucks to get the ECU's home... no big deal at first but it becomes a headache at the post office. CONUS usually costs between $5-$7 to get your ECU to me so just add $2 onto that number for your return postage.

FedEx + UPS...
Haven't had any issues but I haven't received many this way.

International:
Return postage can be arranged using paypal. This process will take longer

Turn around:
ECUs come in and I usually get to them in a day or next day. I travel a couple days a week and don't really check the forum when I'm in a plane. Don't panic if I disappear for a couple days or if it takes a week for me to map it (this is very rare). Just plan to be without an ECU for a week.

Da Rules:

1) TLR ECUs only -I can't map S ECUs unless you ship me the whole bike

2) On a note (piece of paper) WITH your ECU you must have
a. the return shipping address
b. your phone number
c. the type of exhaust you have -need to know if it is full or cans
d. the type of air filter and if the airbox is modded

Its is a pain to match an IM from TLRhandjobs to Mike Picklpuffer in Fcukbag TX. So please try to remember to include the note. :lol

3) Must have return shipping +$2. This can be in stamps in return labels from Fedex/UPS or cash -I don't care

4) Only working ECUs. I have to plug the ECU into my bike so please make sure the ECU functions properly (no FI codes)

No need for anything in return -you can keep the nudie pics of wife/ gf/ daughter/ mom/ self/ dog/ sheep :lol

Please visit my site for info on:
Yosh map vs. Power Commander
Yosh map with TRE
What is a TRE

Have fun and RIDE SAFE!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I read somewhere that a TRE fools the ECU into thinking it's in 5th gear all the time, thus giving the bike the 5th gear map for all gears. Is this true?

Will the Yosh Box map it for all of the gears, individually, with a TRE? Or would it be a modified 5th gear map for all gears?

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
I read somewhere that a TRE fools the ECU into thinking it's in 5th gear all the time, thus giving the bike the 5th gear map for all gears. Is this true?

Will the Yosh Box map it for all of the gears, individually, with a TRE? Or would it be a modified 5th gear map for all gears?
...you are partially correct... the TRE simple resistor is for an ~5th gear value... there are also ATRE's that you can set for which ever gear value you want...

...the Yosh box adjusts your fuel injector output... simply put, your TL will benefit from both:thumbup

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Good question...

Yes TRE takes the place of the GPS (Gear Position Switch) and sets it to a specific gear. The ECU has different air and fuel maps for each gear. Basically slightly richer as the gears increase. I have made a selectable TRE where you can pick the gear and I have confirmed a slight difference between the gears. The Yosh Box modifies the values of all maps equally. But once the TRE is in place you only use one map. I prefer the 4th gear map modified by 5% with the Yosh box.

I highly recommend the TRE -but be warned the TRE is race only! The bike is not safe for beginners with a TRE...

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Good question...

Yes TRE takes the place of the GPS (Gear Position Switch) and sets it to a specific gear. The ECU has different air and fuel maps for each gear. Basically slightly richer as the gears increase. I have made a selectable TRE where you can pick the gear and I have confirmed a slight difference between the gears. The Yosh Box modifies the values of all maps equally. But once the TRE is in place you only use one map. I prefer the 4th gear map modified by 5% with the Yosh box.

I highly recommend the TRE -but be warned the TRE is race only! The bike is not safe for beginners with a TRE...
I would recommend setting a TRE to gear 5 or 6, otherwise, the entire idea of a TRE is practically useless, unless you're only after a injection map for a specific gear.

The idea of a TRE is to get rid of the ridiculous ignition retardation that Mr Zuki enforced upon us on the lower four gears and up to half throttle. That is circumvented by fooling the ECU that the bike is never in any of those lower gears, so setting the TRE to gear 1 to 4 keeps the ignition retardation...

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
...you are partially correct... the TRE simple resistor is for an ~5th gear value... there are also ATRE's that you can set for which ever gear value you want...
...you are partially correct... An ATRE (Active TRE) is meant to sense the neutral so the bike uses the neutral map when in neutral, as opposed to a fixed TRE which always have the gear resistor connected so the bike uses the 5'th or 6'th gear map even when in neutral.
Maybe a CATRE (Configurable Active TRE) would be able to do that. :devious

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Bla, bla, bla thread hijack.

You can continue now Chuck. :laugh

Btw - kudos to you for providing this service. :hail

·
Registered
947 Posts
Thats funny -I knew I forgot something...

maybe a mod could move it to the end of the beginning :)

Chucks_net
7 Plainview Dr
Danielson CT 06239
:lol most important detail. I will be sending you mine this week now that I've finished the basics and found that it rides awesome! Can't wait to see what a fresh map will do after my minor mods. Thanks Chuck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks Chuck. Just had time to check the post. I will be sending you my ECU in the next day or so. Is someone at this address to sign for it? I find if you get a signature required it tends to not get lost.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Chuck, Thanks for your website. I stumbled across it the other day googling something about the TLR. In less than 2 eves I've already deleted my pair valve, modified the air box, and found my exhaust leak thanks to your website. Well, I got it fired back off this evening and took it around the block and it definately feel more alive. Next, I will get my ECM to you. Probably within the next couple days I will ship it out. THANKS, THANKS, THANKS!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Chuck, Got her fired back up this morning. Flipping awesome is all I can say. Feels like a different bike. I am curious did you do 5,10,5??
Thanks for a killer service here on the zone!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Chuck, just letting you know my ECU is on it's way. You should get it some time next week. It was shipped through UPS. I also had my wife put a return shipping label in the box so it should be set for you to send it back. If you could just let me know when you send it back out to me.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.