TLZone Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's some random pics from Christmas Eve. We went ice skating and walked around for a while checking out the sites:)

Disclaimer: I know nothing about photography and the pics were taken with either an old sony point-and-shoot or a new Digi SLR which I hadn't a clue how to work:)

Here's 15th and Pen (Ice Rink just out of the pic on the right).

Mrs. Bikepilot skating

Mr. and Mrs. Bikepilot

The Washington Monument

The folks we were with

Treasury I think

Dunno what this building is, but its more or less next to the white house and looked cool:)

All pics are Click fo Biguns of corse:)

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
great pics Bp and thanks for sharing. I did not know about the outside skate ring in D.C. Is it free to go on?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I think there are 3 out door rinks in DC (well, perhaps 2). This one is persing square and then there's the one in the natl art gallery area or something like that, I can look it up if you want (or just google DC skating). It was $6.50 a person for a two-hour pass (but they never checked for time that I noticed....) and I think skate rental was ~$3 but we had our own:cool

Oh, and naturally the out-door rinks are only open in the winter - the rink is cooled so its good to go even when its above freezing though.

have fun

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Nice pics :thumbup. The last pic is the Executive Office building (I think). That's the building where Dick Chaney's office is. Those are some really good shots of the Wash Monument too!!! You didn't get any of the capitol?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Nice pics :thumbup. The last pic is the Executive Office building (I think). That's the building where Dick Chaney's office is. Those are some really good shots of the Wash Monument too!!! You didn't get any of the capitol?
That is the executive office building, right across from the white house.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, yep it is right across from the white house (but facing the other way). Didn't go by the capital building, it was quite late by the time we were done skating and some of our group was very tired (minimal sleep the night before....). I should know these things having grown up in the area:blush

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
cool pic's :thubup its the white house one pic looks like the front and the other is like a side rearview ..and that wierd looking building is where the VP offices is...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's actually the Treasury building, didn't take a pic of the white house because we were behind it, the lights were all off and all the bushes blocked most of the view. It is right next to the white house though:)

The pic of the exec offic building is a bit weird because it was really dark out side and the building wasn't really lit. Only way it came out was with a really long shutter opening and not knowing much about taking pics I managed to get it a lot brighter than it probably should have been as well as introduce some artifacts (also didn't help that my fingers were about numb by that point and everyone was whining to go home lol) :O I've got a lot of reading to do about taking pics I think:D

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
I've got a lot of reading to do about taking pics I think
Nah, just use the "scene" modes on your more expensive camera. If you are taking night shots, set the camera on something, use the night scene mode and self timer so the camera does not move during the long shutter opening.

The one trick I learned that really helps with indoor shots was varying the flash intensity on my Olympus. Closer up, I dial it down -.3 to -.7 (whatever that means) and for longer shots I increase it up to +2. Another poor mans trick to soften a too harsh flash for closer shots is to put some cellophane tape over it.

The thing that is best about Digital is that you can just take a shitload of pictures. One of them is bound to come out :lol

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its a shame how they keep the white house all dark and hidden..but these are the times we live in..
It was actually lit up and pretty untill 11pm, but then they turned lights off and we didn't start taking pics till 11:30-12ish:banghead but yeah, it is a lot harder to get to than it was a few years ago. I remeber rollerblading around the surounding area and even around the upper level of the capital building not all that long ago:)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nah, just use the "scene" modes on your more expensive camera. If you are taking night shots, set the camera on something, use the night scene mode and self timer so the camera does not move during the long shutter opening.

The one trick I learned that really helps with indoor shots was varying the flash intensity on my Olympus. Closer up, I dial it down -.3 to -.7 (whatever that means) and for longer shots I increase it up to +2. Another poor mans trick to soften a too harsh flash for closer shots is to put some cellophane tape over it.

The thing that is best about Digital is that you can just take a shitload of pictures. One of them is bound to come out :lol

Night mode and timer is actually how I got most of the pics:thumbup Still, I think there's a lot of room for improvement. Most of the pics here are actually with my little sony (which does actually have night mode, timer and full manual controls), a couple were with the new SLR, but at this point, I do better with the Sony as I'm a lot more familer with it.

Thanks for the tips on the flash too, I'll keep those in mind:thumbup I like the tape trick.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Sounds like you enjoyed your time in D.C. I hope so anyway, it is one of my favorite cities.

Only 5.5 hours from C-bus, we try to get their at least once a year. I could hang out at the Lincoln memorial for hours.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah it was fun. I grew up ~10-20 miles from the city. Used to ride bicycles to the wash monument all the time as a kid. Now I'm about 40 miles away, but I work ~200yrds from DC, the I395 overpas I take to get to work has a great view of the city most mornings:D

I kinda wish I'd spent a bit more time getting to know the city...perhaps I'll go there more often:) I'm not a huge fan of cities in general, but I appreciate the history there. I'm sure its awsome for you with your knowlege and love of history:thumbup

I broke a shock on my MTB jumping off those ledges in front of the lincon memorial years ago. Back befor 911 the security guys were pretty lax and usualy enjoyed good entertainment provided you weren't stupid (no riding in the memorial, pissing off tourist or black marks on the marble etc). They aren't nearly so understanding these days:banghead The last few times I've been in DC I got yelled at by some wanna-be cop. Christmas Eve one of them got all upset when some folks in our group walked down a street rather than the sidewalk - the street was closed to cages and it was 12am - sidewalk was partially obstructed by construction crap.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
:banghead

And here I decided to not bring my skates because of the warm temperatures here.

Really need to get those skates broken in.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:doh

They have rentals, but you'd have to be pretty brave to try them out I think.

Wanna have dinner or something tomorrow?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts