TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:O The 99 Tiller starts fine and idles fine with the choke closed, but no matter how warm or even hot the bike is, if you open the coke lever it stumbles and eventually dies unless you keep the throttle up. I tried injector cleaner, I cleaned the air filter, I checked for vacuam leaks. I am thinking maybe the TPS? .....Anyone have any ideas?:O

·
Registered
647 Posts
The "choke" lever is not a choke lever .... it's a fast idle adjuster for warm up.
Do you have a little knob on the left side on the top of the frame rail? It may be
that it just needs to be turned a little to increase the idle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duh! if you see this post twice its cause I didn't think it posted the first time... thanks for the info I am going out to the shed right now to see if adjusting the idle knob fixes the problem- I'll let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O.K.- I adjusted the konb and it did the trick-Sometimes the most obvious thing ascapes you until somebody points it out and then it bites you on the a$$. It must have gotten turned when I was cleaning the bike or something- but it seems to have been the problem- thanks guys! The idle still isn't smooth, and the needle fluctuates between 1200 and 1500 rpm at idle, but it always did that so I am not too worried, since that seems to be a common TL thing.
My next project is a set of bolt-on cans. I was considering a set of Yosh R-S 3 s, but I would welcome any input on others. Also, Is it better to get a PC or Yosh box and do my own remap or should I get it done at the shop?

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...with only bolt-ons a yosh box/mak box remap will be fine, find some one in your area that can do it for you...

·
Registered
188 Posts
idle issues

hello

I was reading this and wondering more specifically were the knob that you speak of is? My fast idle lever does not seem to work, I messed with the system extensively and cannot figure it out. so my bike will not idle down, it likes to stay at about 2000.

Thanks

Nicholas

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
As Veast said , left hand side of motor, little black knob.:)

·
Moderator,
8,244 Posts
star-tlr, your next project should probably be to adjust the TPS and balance the throtle bodies.

Nick, I suspect your fast idle cable is frozen, it's not an uncommon problem. Take it apart and see if you can free it and lubricate it to get it to work. If not, replace the cable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts