5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
how much should a chimney sweep cost?

i think im due...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
500 dollars, a case a beer and I'l be down on thursday!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Give Dick Vandyke a call.....

:coocoo :devious :laugh :laugh

sorry. couldnt resist.:O

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
bout 9.95

they make a chimney sweep log at the hardware store

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
If you do find one doc make sure you hang around the house while the person does the work. There is a European superstition that hanging out with a chimney sweep brings you very good luck. Not sure if hanging out with that chimney sweep log will do the same thing though...

·
Premium Member
7,288 Posts
cheap :yes

1 x cat you hate (2 cats for a double header brush)
1 x broom stick
1 x roll of 100mph tape

tape cat to stick & rub like f*%k its amazing how there little claws rip off the hard bits :laugh

CAUTION: use neighbours cat before your wifes/girl friends that way you dont get stuck washing it after :devious

:lol

·
Registered
671 Posts
if you start a chimney fire, the fire dept will put it out and then clean the chimney for free. its a great service that my wife took advantage of last winter. actually, i'm due to have them back now that i think about it

·
Premium Member
7,288 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
N2, you can buy a sweep brush and handle (it comes in ~4' sections that screw together, easy to use) for ~$35 at lowes. It takes less than a half hour to do a good job. I use a wood stove for supplemental heat in the winter and sweep my own chimney:thumbup

I seal off the fireplace from the inside of the house (easy to do with a wood stove installed), open up the outside clean out door and then go up on the roof and run the sweeper up and down it - back down to the clean out door with the shop-vac and I'm done:cool

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BikePilot said:
N2, you can buy a sweep brush and handle (it comes in ~4' sections that screw together, easy to use) for ~$35 at lowes. It takes less than a half hour to do a good job. I use a wood stove for supplemental heat in the winter and sweep my own chimney:thumbup

I seal off the fireplace from the inside of the house (easy to do with a wood stove installed), open up the outside clean out door and then go up on the roof and run the sweeper up and down it - back down to the clean out door with the shop-vac and I'm done:cool
maybe ill do that. looks like $150 or so to get a local guy and i have the simplist chimney ever... not even an access door... and its only 12 or so feet high...

thanks!

:thumbup

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Without the outside access door you'll have to vacume the stuff out from inside the house, otherwise its the same procedure (I've done my parents before and it didn't have the access door, but was a long chimney).

Depending on how clean/dirty it is, you might also have to use the brush a little from inside to get the area below the flue (sp?).

Oh, and wear old clothes:laugh

I don't have any great pics of my house hosted, but you can see most of the chimney in this one. Took me about 30 minutes to do all total.

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts
N2, one thing to think about is that the person you hire should also do an inspection of the internal condition of the chimney. This can be an issue if it's an older houise. It doesn't take any more than a crack in a motar joint to allow enough heat out of the chimney to start a nice smolering fire inside the wall. My father learned that the hard way. Fortunately they smelled smoke and the firemen were able to track down the source before it did any real damage. It might just be worth the extra money this one time since you've not been in the house long.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Just FYI I cleaned my chimney yesterday. Took about an hour all total (most of that was spent diging the ladder, chimney brush and vacume out of the shed). Wasn't very dirty considering I've put ~2-3cords of wood though it since the last cleaning much of which was still a bit wet at the time of burning. I also went ahead and cleaned the gutters while I was on the roof - they were starting to get full of leaves.

I wasn't worried about the condition of the chimney really as it looks quite solid, has a liner (big, square brick/clay/ceramic tube) and isn't really in the wall like some, its pretty much a stand-alone sorta thing, plus I used it all last year and didn't burn the house down:laugh

BTW I've had a fire going for the last 20 hours or so, all good so far:)

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i ended up paying $150 for a real guy and an inspection report. he said it hadnt been cleaned for a very long time and pointed out a small crack near the top of the chimney.
something to keep an eye on.

anyway, weve already had a couple fires this year. pretty wasteful honestly but i like it.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Well that's good:thumbup

I imagine it doesn't really get cold enough to warrent a lot of use there. It was in the high 20's here last night and about 32 when I got up this morning. I don't think the central heat came on at all though. I've got a wood burning insert in the fireplace with blower that is reasonably efficent and will last a full night on low if loaded up all the way with hardwood.

have fun

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ive got an open fireplace and about 70 uninsulated windows. the fireplace is very effective at making the entire rest of the house cold :laugh

still good for southpark episodes and movies :laugh

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
we had ours done last year. it cost £35 and he did a smoke leak test.

he was in and out within 40 minutes too!

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
one thing to think about is that the person you hire should also do an inspection of the internal condition of the chimney. This can be an issue if it's an older houise. It doesn't take any more than a crack in a motar joint to allow enough heat out of the chimney to start a nice smolering fire inside the wall.
:stupid

Glad you had a pro look at it. That old chimney has been through a few earthquakes. Better to be safe than have a fire.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.