TLZone Forums banner

Check this out - guy rides a super old XT500 4,300kms in AU

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Helmet_Hair 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Great read.

and i set out to proove that the fantasy is far removed from the reality...

Wow, how true, this was my thoughts on returning from Birmingham. It wasn't quite what I'd fantasized about, I had fun, but reality was something different altogether.

#5 ·
yami XT500 :hail :hail bullet proof had one for years as a farm bike. just a PITA on the kickback when starting at times. :banghead OUCH

"publican" = pub/hotel owner

IE: joey dunlop was a publican

#6 ·
just read the story.
wow that brought back good memories of my simpson desert crossing. man that makes me feel like jumping back on & going.

#7 ·
megaphone: Do It! (just try not to catch on fire like that guy:lol)

#8 ·
BikePilot said:
megaphone: Do It! (just try not to catch on fire like that
guy:lol)
actualy he's very lucky the bike did'nt go up. it may had been another outback death. not much constant traffic up through there especialy with out water in the heat of the day & no shade.

#9 ·
Indeed, I didn't mean to make light of a very serious situtation, however the author looking back on it sure does have a sense of humor:D

#10 ·
BikePilot said:
megaphone: Do It! (just try not to catch on fire like that guy:lol)
Yeah it was dangerous but waaaaaaay funny given he did make it ok....been trying to figure that one out: how the hell did he catch fire? Bag on the pipe? Even that does not seem feasable...yeah it is amazing that the bike did not just burn to dust...wasn't that petrol strapped to the seat?

#11 · (Edited)
BikePilot said:
Indeed, I didn't mean to make light of a very serious situtation, however the author looking back on it sure does have a sense of humor:D
no i did'nt think that :) i found it quite funny in the humour way my self.

DangerCell said:
Yeah it was dangerous but waaaaaaay funny given he did make it ok....been trying to figure that one out: how the hell did he catch fire? Bag on the pipe? Even that does not seem feasable...yeah it is amazing that the bike did not just burn to dust...wasn't that petrol strapped to the seat?
if not from the extreme heat from the exhaust , weather & the saddle bags melting on the exhaust (those xt/tt 500 exhausts got f*#ken hot like orange hot up the headers) i'd say the plastic container got either fatigue or expanded & burst.

hence he heard a pop as if the tyre went.

i use to travel 500klm back & forth on my XR600 seeing my old girlfrind. i had a can of shaving cream in my tool pouch & it exploded also i use to carry a small container of oil in there on trail rides it done the same thing :banghead what a mess that was.

#12 ·
Great read! I have similar adventures commuting on my '73 XL250. Had to push it two and a half miles home one time after i snapped the key off in the seat lock while attempting to access the tool kit to replace a fouled plug. Ah, the joy of riding junk.:coocoo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.