·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Great read.

and i set out to proove that the fantasy is far removed from the reality...

Wow, how true, this was my thoughts on returning from Birmingham. It wasn't quite what I'd fantasized about, I had fun, but reality was something different altogether.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sounds like it was grueling but fun id sure like to try it probably not alone though.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Nice find pilot.....fookin awsome man. Could not stop reading it....

So can any of you aussies explain to me what a "publican" is???

Thanks bikepilot that is what it is all about......

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
yami XT500 :hail :hail bullet proof had one for years as a farm bike. just a PITA on the kickback when starting at times. :banghead OUCH

"publican" = pub/hotel owner

IE: joey dunlop was a publican

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
just read the story.
wow that brought back good memories of my simpson desert crossing. man that makes me feel like jumping back on & going.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
megaphone: Do It! (just try not to catch on fire like that guy:lol)

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
BikePilot said:
megaphone: Do It! (just try not to catch on fire like that
guy:lol)
actualy he's very lucky the bike did'nt go up. it may had been another outback death. not much constant traffic up through there especialy with out water in the heat of the day & no shade.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indeed, I didn't mean to make light of a very serious situtation, however the author looking back on it sure does have a sense of humor:D

·
Registered
546 Posts
BikePilot said:
megaphone: Do It! (just try not to catch on fire like that guy:lol)
Yeah it was dangerous but waaaaaaay funny given he did make it ok....been trying to figure that one out: how the hell did he catch fire? Bag on the pipe? Even that does not seem feasable...yeah it is amazing that the bike did not just burn to dust...wasn't that petrol strapped to the seat?

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
BikePilot said:
Indeed, I didn't mean to make light of a very serious situtation, however the author looking back on it sure does have a sense of humor:D
no i did'nt think that :) i found it quite funny in the humour way my self.

DangerCell said:
Yeah it was dangerous but waaaaaaay funny given he did make it ok....been trying to figure that one out: how the hell did he catch fire? Bag on the pipe? Even that does not seem feasable...yeah it is amazing that the bike did not just burn to dust...wasn't that petrol strapped to the seat?
if not from the extreme heat from the exhaust , weather & the saddle bags melting on the exhaust (those xt/tt 500 exhausts got f*#ken hot like orange hot up the headers) i'd say the plastic container got either fatigue or expanded & burst.

hence he heard a pop as if the tyre went.

i use to travel 500klm back & forth on my XR600 seeing my old girlfrind. i had a can of shaving cream in my tool pouch & it exploded also i use to carry a small container of oil in there on trail rides it done the same thing :banghead what a mess that was.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Great read! I have similar adventures commuting on my '73 XL250. Had to push it two and a half miles home one time after i snapped the key off in the seat lock while attempting to access the tool kit to replace a fouled plug. Ah, the joy of riding junk.:coocoo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts