TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in April when I purchased my TLR I also replaced the battery. I went on a ride this morning with my old man and she just quit on me out of nowhere. No electrical whatsoever. What types of problems are common with the charging system? Any easy fixes? If anyone has an opinion please share...thx

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
If it's stone dead a typical failure is the connector to the starter relay - all system power goes through that connector. First check the 30A fuse in there (there are two on board - one is in circuit and the other is just a spare)
Do you have a voltmeter? Pretty essential piece of kit to troubleshoot electrical problems.
You can find a charging system diagnostic thread in the frequent mods forum - it starts with a voltage check of your battery.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had same problems and it drove me crazy. Changed battery twice and found out it was my Regulator/Rectifier. Chnged it out with the fh012a(i think) and fixed my problems with charging. Haven't had to charge me Bat in 4months since i did this. You can find the info in the frequent mods section also.

sonny

Just noticed you are in Tampa Bay area. What part? My better half has family in clearwater so we try to go done atleast once a year maybe twice. Maybe i'll trailer my bike down and we can ride next time we come down.

·
Registered
769 Posts
You can find a charging system diagnostic thread in the frequent mods forum - it starts with a voltage check of your battery.
The guy who wrote it really knows his stuff.....I've used the diagnostics on quite a few bikes......top info!! :devious

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I will have to get it up to my local shop when I can. My first priority was to get it off the road this morning without having to have it towed or loaded up. Thanks for the advice I will be looking into it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I wouldn't take it to a shop, its much better if you do it yourself. The guide will help you nomatter what your expertise level is. If it is the reg/rec. A shop is just going to put another outdated crappy stocker on. If its the stator, atleast you will know what needs to be done before the shop tells you its going to cost X amount because they want to replace this, this and that

·
Registered
68 Posts
Agreed keep it out the shop. You can do it all yourself and save a lot of money. Get the bike home. Charge the battery, while thats going on check your resistances and all. After bat is charged check volts and go from there. Save your money for parts and mods. This was my biggest problem with the bike fixed the R/R and did the charging mod. Haven't had problems since.

sonny

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good call guys. I read up on the charging mod and my only real problem will be finding the time to get it done. In the meantime though I can get online and purchase the new unit. It certainly doesnt seem complicated and I appreciate for the reference to the mod section. The money I save can be put towards my exhaust system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts