TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! I haven't formally introduced myself but :pirate I'm a new owner of my second 2001 TLR. Anyway, this bike is a CA model and has that black emissions can in the back. It takes up space and weight, so I'm wondering if I can simply unhook and plug the lines or trace them back and remove entirely. Anyone? Buehler? :O

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
Sure - you can safely remove that along with a bunch of other hardware.
Track only, though, right? :pirate

See here .......

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Dont just block the vent line from the tank to the cannister though. Put a small filter on the end of it, or block it and modify / replace the cap so the tank can breath. (Some tanks have the head break off the end of that line and they leak fuel out of it, so the nipple has to be blocked at the bottom of the tank, but you have to giv ethe tank a way of letting air as the fuel gets pumps out of it and air out due to heat).

Normal tanks vent through the cap. The CA caps are sealed and all breathing is done via the charcoal cannister.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Holy crap, there's a TL out there that hasn't had that stuff removed? Post pics! :D

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Holy crap, there's a TL out there that hasn't had that stuff removed? Post pics! :D

Well, make that two. It's a pain, cause I see so much room that would be available for, i don't know, a sandwich? But I just don't have it in me to remove mine. (yet)

Oh, still got my Pair crud too.

C

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always figured the tank vented through the stock gas cap but I must be way off. So if I have two lines from the cannister, I need to filter the one leading to the gas tank, right? The other I can trace back and remove. Does this removal gain anything other than space?

Doh... just read your bit on the CA caps not venting. That's odd because I can see fumes collecting on the cap surface when it's running.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
The one to the tank needs to breath. The other can be removed, but plugged at the TB. No performance gain, just weight and clutter savings.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info! SVonhof, looks like we have the same bike. What gears are you running? I currently have the 520 w/ 16/39 but thinking of going to a 16/40. Curious to know if it's worth the difference.

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
I have a CA bike and removed the canister (just left the lines but plugged them where the canister would sit).....
You are effectively plugging the tank vent - that should not be plugged!
The whistling you are hearing may be leaking through the cap.
I would recommend you either remove the plug or fit a non-CA cap assembly.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I 'think' you can convert the CA ones to breath like normal ones.

Have to be careful pulling it apart though. But you'd want to pull it apart to get the barrel out of it anyway if you bought a replacement one.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Yea, you need SOME venting. If you want to know what happens when you don't have venting, just ask the guys with the Vortex caps.

IE, it'll blow the tank seal on the bottom and you'll acquire the dreaded difficult to fix tank leak.

·
Registered
354 Posts
But the whistling was happening before I remove the canister... I left the canister in there for well over a year after getting the bike and have not had a problem yet.

Any reccomendations on what type of filter to use to make it vent? Or any pictorials on what to do to allow the cap to vent?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
go to auto parts store and get a PCV valve. one that will fit in the tube, i use one on my crank case brether on my mini bike so it dont spew oil when i drop it, i know guy have done same on their 636 stunt bikes.......

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I can't remember if it is the larger or smaller line from the tank? Once you remove the canister just follow the lines, cap off the one that doesn't go to the tank :) Leave the tank line long to the tail section, I believe there is a check valve already in that line.

Put an inline fuel filter at the end of the hose and secure up out of the way. You can see in the picture below of how far back I placed the filter.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Here is a diagram of the setup :) you can follow the lines to the Throttle bodies and just cap them there to get rid of the extra clutter.......then put the fuel filter in place of the canister.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts