TLZone Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys really stupid question, how hard is it to change the pads on a tiller? I have done plenty of cars but this is the first bike, any thing to watch out for, easy to do or should I get a mechanic?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
its easy.. take out the two bolts that attaches to ur forks.. then on the back of the caliper there is a piece of metal that has to small allen screws.. take those out and slide the old pads out.. use ur fingers to press the pistons back in as far as u can but make sure u unhook the top fill cap off to allow preasure to be send back in the lines and slide new pads in and reverce.. good luck:thumbup...

Use EBC HH pads.. and DONT get any greece on the rotors..

Ash

·
Registered
608 Posts
super easy, if in any trouble just have your girl do it for u:laugh

have fun

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chraika1 said:
its easy.. take out the two bolts that attaches to ur forks.. then on the back of the caliper there is a piece of metal that has to small allen screws.. take those out and slide the old pads out.. use ur fingers to press the pistons back in as far as u can but make sure u unhook the top fill cap off to allow preasure to be send back in the lines and slide new pads in and reverce.. good luck:thumbup...

Use EBC HH pads.. and DONT get any greece on the rotors..

Ash

Cheers Champ:thumbup

·
Registered
790 Posts
When going from those old skinny pads to new thick ones, watch the reservoir level when you push those pistons back in. Don't want brake fluid spilling out, no fun. Would also be a good idea to somehow gently clean the exterior of those pistons up a bit before you go pushing them back through those seals. You don't wanna piss those seals off. It doesn't take much to upset them. It took 3 sessions of splitting calipers till I got mine to stop sticking partly because I tried to clean/reuse the seals the first two times. :coocoo

:thumbup yep, super easy but still gotta pay attention to some details.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
a little trick that will help.

works for the rear, and I assume it works for the fronts as well

pop off the cap. Pull the "retaining pin" then pull the pins that hold the pads in place (may be a little stuck with all the black coal powder from hell) Pull one pad half way out, leaving the other in place. Use it to "pry" the piston back. Trick is to get the edge of the pad right in the middle of the piston and pry it straight back, if you get the piston cocked it's a real pain... when the piston is pushed back. Insert the new pad on that side.

do the same with the old pad on the other side....... drop the new pad in on that side put it all back together... don't forget the squeek wedges (little thin bits of metal)

wash your hands twice with Lava soap and you will still have black in your finger prints

crack a beer, baske in the warm glow of accomplishment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts