·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Says it all really :laugh

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I've been thinking about it alot recently ... seems there are a few countries around the world that could benefit from a revolution, an uprising of the people to overthrow the governments.

Seriously!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I've been thinking about it alot recently ... seems there are a few countries around the world that could benefit from a revolution, an uprising of the people to overthrow the governments.

Seriously!
Jefferson figured a revolution would be necessary to preserve liberty every 20 years or so. Otherwise he suspected that government would slowly become more and more powerful and would shortly become too powerful to be easily overthrown at which point it would be free to spiral out of controll further supressing liberty. History has proven him correct I think.

"god forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion . . . the tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure."
And Madison constantly warned us that we ought fear the gradual encroachment of our own government on our liberties much more than a violent attacker. Something we would do well to remember in the post 911 world.

I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.....The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I think Jefferson was a bit unbalanced, once every 20 years is a bit stupid cos all everyone would be doing is fighting & then paying to rebuild everything :coocoo ... but take North Korea - the people are starving (apparently) cos the government wants to make nuclear bombs etc ... why the HELL don't they (the people) do something about it?!? Oh wait I guess that's why they have a standing army of 1,000,000 men :coocoo

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
He didn't mean a complete civil war, but just a little uprising to keep the govt in check. That statement was in reference to Shay's rebellion IIRC.

The founders were also very adament that the federal government should not maintain a standing army at all but that the military power of the country should be comprised of an armed populous at large, organized by the states as needed for national defense. The only military power to be weilded by the federal government at the time of the founding of the US was a naval force and that force was largely not federally owned and operated ships, but paid priveteers. The idea being that the federal government would never have sufficent power to be a threat to its people and any "revolution" would be a short, simply mater with minimal loss of life. Sadly, this ideal was abandonded long before the US civil war which probably could not have occured otherwise.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I'm in Stafford (VA), can I be an honorary memeber of the revolution?

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
MarcUK, join our merry band of revolutionarys...................we're all revolting !! :laugh

So we've been told several times :dowhat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts