TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
more trouble with the 'o3 tl1000r. had new throttle bodies installed and the bike runs great. toook it out this morning with a buddy and got about 25 miles in and then something went wrong with the chain and/or with the transmission. had to have it flatbedded to the shop. hope there is not extensive damage. any ideas what could have failed?

thanks
r graves

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
We need a lot more info. to be of any help. what actually happened?; you'll know if the chain failed, cos it won't be on the bike, and as a parting gift it may've smashed engine cases; and if it felt really generous, your clutch mechanism too:banghead.

Assuming the chain is still there, what happens if you start the bike, pull the clutch lever in, put it in first, and let the clutch lever out??

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i was coming off a red light got it up to around 40mph was in 3rd gear when it let loose with a lound grinding noise and locked up the rear wheel. got it to the shoulder to asses the damage and the chain was on the bike but very beat up. i can not get the bike into neutral to start it. the engine was running good when i hit the kill switch. sounded like all the noise was coming from the front sprocket area.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
If the chain is beat-up, I'd say the first step would be to see what damaged the chain - I had something flick up off the road and bend one of my front rotors once....although it could be that your gearbox siezed and the sprockets damaged the chain:O I'd check out both options first; take off the front sprocket cover and look for foriegn ogjects.

It'd pay for someone with more knowledge to chime in now that I have the ball rolling:) Sorry I can't offer more help....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is at the shop now. i do not do my own wrenching. i was just wondering what the possible problems could be so i can get a feel for how much in repair costs i am looking at. thanks for the input. any one else have any suggestions on what could have went wrong. and as a side note the clutch is brand new just had it done a week ago. could something have gone wrong there?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
It could be something to do with the clutch not being installed right; or retainers not tightened to spec:O I assume the shop installed it? If it failed due to incorrect installation the fix should be on them...I just hope they don't try to cover up their cock-up, if it is due to them; cos it could run into quite some $$. Best of luck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chime in with ideas thoughts or any coments. i am thinking the clutch is the culprit. will get on the shop i use to get it right they just do not get a lot of tl1000r in there. so i want some opinions to state a case.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
It's all just guesswork with out more info./pictures; though it's a big coincedence:O It's for this reason I do all my own work, thanks to TLZone members - I don't trust the bike shop to do it right.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it does seem odd that i had the new clutch put in and now something went wrong in that area. the trouble i am having with it is that at 35 or 40 mph it almost sent me over the bars. had this happened during hard acceleration at a higher speed i would be in the morgue. it could have been a lot more serious. hope to find out tomorrow what wrong. i will post the results. right now its time to hop on the sv650 and ride like hell. thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Sounds good. No point really in guessing at this point with so little info. I'd be scared to death to ride a bike I didn't at least inspect closely after work was done (and I much prefer to do all my own work). As you note, a failure at the wrong time could be fatal. At the very least learn how to inspect and maintain the chain and basic stuff like that:thumbup

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnteresting.... cant wait to hear what the shop had to say. I do my own wrenching for those reasons. In most cases... the Zone knowledge base is much better than the run of the mill Bike Shop Mech.

With an automobile... you cant fall down and get all broken... on a bike.. It's Your Life!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i would do more of my own work if i knew there was back up close to help. guess i need to get in ass deep and hope for the the tlzoners to come to my rescue. i got to say that most advise i have recieved is right on the money. tlzoners rock! i love the vtwin! hope for the best,prepare for the worst. thanks!

rgraves

·
Registered
538 Posts
so any update? i doubt the shop will admit to any wrong doing on there part. so ift they did leave something loose then they just say somethin locked up in the trans. sucks,,,,but thats the way it is.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
hope for the best???

that is what i did ...now i do all my own wrenching...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no update yet. its been almost 3 weeks and the shop was just getting on the rack today. i should hear the news on monday. i will surly post the results on the zone.

·
Registered
621 Posts
if the rear locked up then it sounds to me like the output bearing behind the front sproket,,, just what happened to a memeber on here at a track day at cadwell park,, as it let go two gears engaged at once, locking the rear and making the chain appear knackered,, as it was very loose.

update us as soon as you know though

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i love the zone! i posted this almost 3 weeks ago and it is still getting responses. not only local but from over seas. what a great forum.
the last post does make sense since i had just shifted from 2nd to third gear. i will hear the news tomorrow and post the results. i still think it is odd that this happened after having clutch rebuilt. the other question i came up with after reading some of the responses to my post is; is it possible that instead of somthing being left loose that somthing was over tightened? ring in if you think that could be a possible cause. i really want my facts together when i talk to the tech that is working on my bike.

thanks to all the zoners that have replied.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok guys and gals here is the news. it seems that the chain adjuster(chain slidder) broke causing the engine to draw the slackup into to the main drive case. the damage both sprockets are being replaced, the chain is being replaced and of course the chain adjuster(chain slidder). the swing arm is fine, thge trans is fine and the motor is fine. also replacing the rear tire and having the fork seals done. total bill around 700 labor included.
a little bad news but sweeten up with some good news.

thanks for all the input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
WOW... you got Lucky! Glad to hear it.. now... download the manual and learn some good info so you can stop giving money to a shop! :) :thumbup

1 - 20 of 29 Posts