TLZone Forums banner

Chain tension too tight, metallic clunk behind front sprocket

817 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  neil123 
#1 ·
So after a ride yesterday to wear the new tyres in, I decided I'd clean and lube the chain, onto the paddock stand she went and span the wheel to check for stones in the tread and noticed it felt a little notchy and the tension was what I thought too tight, asked the guys on a Facebook forum and they advised my suspicion was correct.
But the noise I noticed/felt was advised the tight chain could of caused the output shaft bearing to fail, then this would mean splitting the crank cases to replace it.
This will be a project if I have to go down this route as there will be a few things i will get done at the same time, I will just go through the bike.

Can anyone on here advise further.

#2 ·
First I'd try adjusting the chain correctly. My method is this, I adjust the just so it does NOT touch the exhaust tube. That said, I have a Yoshimura full system on my bike. If you have a full system on your bike, you can use this same method. If you have the stock exhaust system, then adjust the chain so that you have about a 1/4", or about 6-7mm, of clearance between the chain and the exhaust tube.

As an aside, I would be careful about the Facebook group. There are some folks on there that just like to throw stuff out there. There are several good people as well. Just be careful. I've found that most of your answers and questions have been asked here or on TL Planet. They are both good sources of info.

#3 ·
In addition to Rick's comment, unless your chain is new, I would first suspect tight spots in the chain contributing to the noise you are hearing.
Is a 630 chain still installed, or has it been converted to a 520?

Still, you are the one "at the scene," so do what you can to isolate the source of the noise. Report back please.

#5 ·
Hi guys thanks for the replies, I took the bike back to the where the new tyres were fitted and they slackened it off to where I was happy with it, also the clunk/knock isn't there any more so all is well. not i'm going to be fitting my new Hyperpro Emuslion shock soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.