TLZone Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I was looking at my bike and I notice that the rear sprocket (original with 14k miles) is a little worn. Nothing to worry as it was well taken care of and shows minimal wearing.

I dont do a lot of high speed running so my need to run 170 mph is not there. If I were to change it, what rear sprocket size would you reccomend as being a good "street" and commute rear sprocket? I dont care about getting 45 miles per gallon either, but I dont want to over heat the engine by running 80mph on the highway for extended periods of time. And what would be a good chain and how many links would it take for the bigger rear sprocket?

The other thing is my rear brakes are about gone and I want some good breaks that wont heat up but are not going to cost me an arm and a leg at the same time.

Thanks all and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I just got new sprockets and chain here is what I was told: don't go down too much on the front as it will bring the chain closer to the swing arm and make the chain wear quicker due to the smaller diameter- I also heard that aluminum sprockets will wear MUCH quicker, and for street riding are really not nessasary.
So I went with : 42 tooth rear (stock was 38) and 17 tooth front (same as stock) and a RK gold gxsw something something... I don't really remember what letters but it was the best x ring racing chain in the book. I rode it once since the new gearing and didn't really notice that much differance in power other than the smoothness- my chain and sprockets were probably never changed and my bike had 22k!! Hope the info helps...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

What are your RPM's now at 55mph?

I want to keep the front the same and change just the rear.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Only rode it once since the change- haven't really checked. But I did get a 1/5 throttle insert from Rifleman which I haven't tried yet...

·
Registered
269 Posts
I dropped 1 in the front and went up 1 in the back. near as i can tell with a 180 tire on the back when im doing 55 mph(indicated) im actually going 50 or so and no problems with heat, not sure on the rpm's. but it sure feels better around the city

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Realize that the spedo reads countershaft speed and your spedo will be off if you change gearing - you can fix it with a yellowbox or similar.

I don't know what gearing you would like best, its largely a matter of personal preference. If you do a lot of miles go with steel sprockets and an X-ring chain - I've been very impressed with the DID-X ring chain (DID-ZVM in 530 width) and currently have 33k miles on mine with minimal maintence and lots of rain riding and even some snow riding - lots of winter riding with salt/sand on the roads too. IIRC I've adjusted it twice since break-in. Got it from indysuperbikes:thumbup

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, much appreciated. I am going to possibly go up to a 41 or 42 rear and stay with the stock front size. I want a little more grunt coming off the bottom so this will help. Not sure when and if I am going to make the change but I think I have made up my mind.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts