TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone new here, love the tl's. saturday im lookin at a 1999 tl1000r, the guy told me he thinks the previous owner put a new motor on it because according to him, the chains can snap and go threw the engine case.

i'm just curious if this is a massive red flag, he said he's had the bike and put on about 3k miles and no problems but then again whats his word really worth, but assuming he's not BSing me, just curious about that, and any other special things to these bikes to look for thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Chains can surely snap smashing engine cases. Sometimes the chain can fall on the street with no harm done. Usually when a chain snaps, it's because of an ooooold worn out and stretched chain. I'd look at the bike closely for lack of maintanance. Or lack of really. These bikes are super tough too. Mines been under 3 feet of salt water. It's fine other than a new harness and fresh fluids. Many others here can attest to the love and build quality in these things. Poor maintanance will kill anything. Don't let this new engine be a deterrent either. As long as it runs well and doesn't smoke. Lol. Long wheelies kill TL motors too. Could have been that too if he doesn't know for sure. What's on the odometer?

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you really want to know if there is a different engine in it, have him show you the title. Usually, the engine number will be on it. If the replacement engine wasn't reported to the DMV, then the old number will be on the title and you will know for sure what the guy is telling is true.

Rick

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
What's your location (it's not in your profile) and what's the engine serial number?

High-performance large-displacement twins are all hard on chains. You have to use good ones. They break for idiots. Usually the bike just lays the chain out on the ground, but it can easily break the engine cases and can even destroy the brace on the left side of the swingarm. One TL I bought was like that. But when it happens it's usually the fault of the owner, not the bike.

·
Moderator,
8,230 Posts
Engine numbers aren't on titles anymore.

If that did indeed happen it means the PO wasn't much for maintenance, so you'll have a bike with questionable maintenance history. You'll also have no idea how many miles are on the engine. Neither is a deal killer, but just something to consider.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
I've written several threads on chain maint. Keep your chain in good order and it won't be a problem. The Tsubuki Sigma is rated at over 10,000 lbm tensil strength and I dare even Riddick to produce a TL engine that can pull beyond that.

Some guys go to a 520 to save weight (and a little unsprung weight) but I'd stick with the 530 unless you are a GP racer trying to over take Rossi on the front straight.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Use a decent chain and it won't break. Use a crap one and it might. Lots of folks try to cheap out and put crap chains on bikes. It never ends well and often ends badly. The DID 530ZVMX2 is my fave. Solid 40k mile chain and super-strong. If you are doing a 520 there are ones out there with the strength, but they'll wear quicker. The ERV-3 (I think) is pretty bulletproof. Use it on the XR which is probably harder on a chain than the TL.

Engine numbers are on titles for some states I think -- I'm pretty sure CA still uses them, I know when I sold my bandit there I had to give the lady the engine number so she could fill out the paperwork for the new owner's title.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Yep, especially when you ride them into the sea of cortez, get stuck in the mud than hammer out a couple thousand miles of whoops :laugh

I was thankful for the strenght of the ERT3 (or ERV3 or whatever it is) last summer, that's for sure. Crunched enough rockes between the chain and sprockets that it tore off several hardened steel teeth, but it didn't even require an adjustment after the abuse (I slipped on a new front sprocket, complete with all 15 teeth when I got back stateside).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wow! I just killed mine locally. Forgot what chain was on it last. I didn't keep the old girl too long. Tires and chain lasting 1000 miles is super bike territory. Not 35 horsepower dual sport territory. Lol

·
Registered
532 Posts
"What's your location (it's not in your profile) and what's the engine serial number?"

I live down in the San Diego area. Without going out to look at the bike, I don't remember if it's on the left or right side. However, it is down near the bottom of the engine. You might need a flash light to see it.

Rick

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The Tsubuki Sigma is rated at over 10,000 lbm tensil strength and I dare even Riddick to produce a TL engine that can pull beyond that.
Here’s one that would probably snap a chain
http://www.tlzone.net/forums/suzuki-tl1000r-tl1000s-forum/93114-its-done-171hp-107ftlbs-nitrous-rwhp.html

That's "171hp" nitrous & air-shifted, on BST wheels, race-teched forks, bitubo rear shock, and a tone of other mod's, got to love TL1000R'S.

On a personal note,
I did break a chain several years ago on a ride. It rolled the chain right out the bottom of the motor onto the road. What happened was I ripped the master link apart, the chain did not actually break. This was a press link chain... I still have the ripped apart master link on my work bench.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well after talking to the guy again it sounds like it was beat to absolute crap. he told me he bought it 3000 miles ago and although he says it runs fine, the plastics are beat up, he said its been down before, no idea if it was him or the last owner. its got all black plastics that look like absolute crap.

i am switching to the street from dirtbikes, i rode a 2007 kx450f, these things had such an insane power curve in 2008 kawasaki smoothed it out. i always put the high quality chain. i never understand people who dont maintain their bikes, something goes wrong it could be your life.

anyways i found this bike its in new hampshire, 29k, he has had it serviced and it from the pictures it looks clean. i'm hoping tomorrow to meet up and buy it, im gonna have someone more familiar with street bikes come with me and ride it back. its a 2 hour ride so i am guessing any problems will be evident on the ride home.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well its official, tomorrow im picking up a 2001 tl1000r so i think ill be sticking around here for a little while

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i personally had this happen, only owned my TLR for 4 weeks when the chain snapped and smashed my engine apart. hence the rebuild and why my bike looks like it does today.
ive heard of this happening to others on here aswell, so be safe and fit a good quality chain. i had my new chain on order when this happened!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
i had my buddy ride it back. i ended up paying $3400. 29k on it, i think it was a tad pricey but the bike was absolutely mint, not a ding scuff spec of dirt on it, chain was in great shape, engine sounded smooth, gears shifted great, has micron exhausts, tank bra, n under tail kit, LED light for the plate, integrated blinkers on the tail light, steering stabilizer, double bubble screen, some kind of aftermarket shifter dont really know. has a new clutch. thing is absolutely ready! when i get my camera charged i'll post some pictures.

now i got a really dumb question, where the hell is the petcock on this thing.

edit: nevermind, did a little digging on here found out there is no shut off. ok! thank you tlzone

1 - 20 of 27 Posts