TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please give me a website that sells a good chain and sprocket kit for my 02 tl? Also i dont know what sprocket size to get for front or rear when it asks that question. I have looked on some old forums online but their a couple years old so the sites arent the same. I am new to bikes and this is my first bike so your help would be greatly appreciated. Not looking to spend more that 200 bucks. Ive come to learn riding is expensive. I dont race or anything so it doesnt have to have the best performance.

Thanks
AJ

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are tons of sites for chain and sprocket kits. I currently run -1 in the front +2 in the rear (vortex sprockets), and an EK chain. Cost me just over $200. I had an Odyssey chain on my GSXR 1000 and it lasted just as long as my DID X-ring chain, but cost half the price.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
PM Speedking. He quoted me a good price on a nice setup.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
But your bike model and location in your profile please.

TL big-twin pulses eat chains. Keep it a bit loose: as the swingarm is short so the chain tightens as the suspension compresses.

The best bang for the buck is to buy very good chain and new sprockets, so the whole set lasts a very long time and you come out ahead in the long run. D.I.D. ZVM-X 530 is the list favorite for long life, and highly recommended. Look at it this way, the twin needs fewer spark plugs than a 4 but you need to spend that savings on better chain. Use a stake-on rivet master link. Get the pressing/staking tools if you don't have them. There's a handy shim that prevents over-tight master, I think RK sells the shim.

Stock sprocket sizes depends on whether you have a TLR or TLS. Changing the final ratio can make huge difference in the bike's character, but requires an electronic box to correct the associated speedometer error.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Many people on-list recommend the list discount from speedking, as Schiben has here.

I can't find anything online about Odyssey brand chain, never heard of it; can't find any evidence it exists. Good batteries, but they don't make one that fits the TL very well.

DID, RK, Tsubaki, Regina are the big brands; they all make cheap and good chain, and the TL requires the strongest model of each brand for the street where you don't replace often. Krause chain is the strongest, but very expensive.

Many people recommend only steel sprockets in the back. I use larger sprockets in front and back, so I used to get away with lighter high-quality hard-anodized rear sprockets. Now I use "stealth" tri-metal rear sprockets. You will have to decide. Front sprockets also come in a variety of steel qualities. The Ti alloy front sprockets are exceptionally good. If you stay with stock sizes, the stock front sprocket has a rubber snubber that slightly reduces chain noise, and you can get them via mail-order from places like ronayers.com.

Or you can change to 520 chain and sprockets which is much lighter, but doesn't last as long on a street TL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info on the chain, I am far from a mechanic but my friend will put the chain on for me, I guess I'll go with the D.I.D. ZVM-X 530 chain, I will PM speedking, thanks

I have also noticed that the bike just recently has started to not give a smooth amount of power when accelerating in first gear and only in first, it will lose some power like its running low on gas and then come back strong and violantly after not giving me any power. Any idea on that issue? Im thinking its cause of the chain its pretty rough.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Not the chain. They get noisy and jerky. This sounds like something else. Not normal on an '02. On a '97 it means you just need to apply throttle more slowly, but an '02 should be pretty responsive.

Maybe it's a bit rich or lean? Is there any power commander?

Install a TRE so that 1st is no longer any different, and see if it goes away. Should help wide-open performance in low gears. Cheapest iprovement you can make.

Consider throwing some injector cleaner into the next tank of gas, then change the sparkplugs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts