TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, a friend of mine has a ccm 644 dual sport. he's looking for more grunt! he has drilled more holes in the airbox to aid breathing, but thats it.
if anyone would like to share any tips to squeeze a few more ponys out of the ol'' girl would be great:thumbup

·
Registered
647 Posts
Ok, i checked and it seems to be. Pro-cycle has a bunch of stuff as well as Keintech. For my bike (a '07 DR-650) i have a TM-40 carburetor, a Yosh RS-3 exhaust can,a high compression piston and Web cam to put in over the new years holiday, and have done a bunch of stuff to l ighten the bike including removing the airbox completely and running a 6" UNI pod filter on a homebrew manifold adapter, removing the rear of the sub frame, etc, etc.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Its close, it uses the same motor as the suzk xf650 that's the same as the dr but with a different head I think. Its a good reliable motor but not really designed with performance in mind. There's power to be had on the dr by opening the exhaust and intake up. After that I think its cams and compression. I belive je has a high comp piston. Chceck with kientech and have a look at the dr section of thumpertalk. There won't be many ccm of xf specific mods or info bc it was never imported to the states. Dr piston should work though and probably cam though the ccm probably has a better cam than the dr to start with. Its a cool bike and I wish the us had gotten them!

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info guys:thumbup
i can't wait till the snows gone so i can have a go:roost

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
The twin carb head might be based on the DR750 DR800 so maybe some FCR's would fit.
Procycle do a 725cc kit which would probably work.

·
Registered
83 Posts
just sold my ccm644ds
engine is the freewind not DR, see no need for the big bore kit, nice open Zorst air box cover off with carbs rejetted to suit
much info on the ccmrider site, great lads there and other sites copy from it
my jetting seemed slightly different but then i got myself a lambda unit and welded a mount to the header (keep well away from zorst as big singles breath so heavy and can get false reading from air drawn back)
mine was actually much more tractable with better fuel consumption, std sprockets maxis tyres
have fun..... i did apart from locking rear brake up to easily, i had no preload adj on forks (WP) so added 25mm long spacers above springs (used mostly in road trim)
ps junk the fuel filter (reed style shoved up steel fuel pipe at carb entry) gets blocked with plastic from fuel tank, use see thru inline and fit brisk plugs (2x) much better burn
toodle pip......hope this of some use

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
The Freewind is just a DR engine with a twin carb head.
Oddly since posting here a DR shat itself over on the East coast and its cylinder should be here by next week so a 725 kit is on the cards to swap over at the 50000 km mark.

That only leaves fuel injection.
Two Brothers M7 is on the way and the FMF PowerBomb header (production release due the end of January) is paid for.

You would have to wonder if a 105mm front TL cylinder and head could be adapted to the DR cases. :devious:laugh

You can guarantee just like the TL,the squish on the DR/Freewind will be excessive and needs optimising.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:thumbup Les, leave it to you to turn a frindly little dual sporter into a tricked out monster:devious If I hadn't just seen the rego thread I'd have suggested that a TE610 or TE630 might be cheaper:laugh

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
The DR has responded well to some mods,Josh.
I still like it for its simplicity and is a great all rounder, a lot of those parts can be removed if necessary.
The Two Brothers VALE M7 is here,the FMP PowerBomb header should be here by my next R&R late next month.
I will strip the engine and replace third and fifth transmission gears at 50000 kms which looks to be sometime mid year.

If i had the tooling i would look at FI as a project,the new RMZ 450 might be viable for donor parts as they become available on US Ebay.

Brand new RMZ triples for US$70 + $62 post,a bargain.
The fork tools have also arrived along with a full seal/bushing rebuild kit.

This pretty much sums it up.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Sounds great Les! What went wrong to break off the bottom of the cylinder like that?

I love the picture of the bike all loaded up, really looks like quite an adventure:banana

If you want to fit FI someday, it may be easier to use the FI system from the CRF or KXF than the RMZ. Unless it changed for the current model year, the RMZ will be using a highly pressurized aluminum fuel cell. The FI system might work with an external pump and a non-pressurized fuel cell, but if not, designing a large tank that could take that kind of pressure could get complicated/heavy.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Interesting Josh.

The M7 muffler is nasty,loud with harsh power delivery.

It just goes to show how important the taper angle is.
The ghetto pipe and GSXR muffler out performs it easily,power is strong and progressive.

I have prepped and repainted the old set up ready to refit along with the RMZ 11mm M/C. :devious

1 - 12 of 12 Posts