posting for Dave Moss

Catalyst Reaction Suspension Needs your help -Stolen Trailer
Here is a email from Dave Moss.

"All,

I need your help. My trailer was stolen at about 6am
this morning from outside the house, and it had
everything in it but bikes. Locks were cut etc and a
neighbor just came by to tell me.

Wells Cargo 2001 17x7 tanden axle in white. No decals.
Rusty grey wheels.

Contents - everyone knows that. And I do mean
everything.

Serial # 1WCc200g2424045151

License 4GJ4165

Thanks,

Dave Moss
Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning"

Keep your eyes out.......

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...F'in theives...

·
Registered
528 Posts
I drive over 3200 miles a WEEK in Northern Cali, and its my job to know plate and vin numbers... I`ll be looking out for ya!!!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
AFAIK, dave got the trailer back but all the stuff inside is missing

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A note from Dave 1/14/07;

--------------------------------------------------------------

All,

Again thanks to Eddy and Zip for coordinating this effort.

Yesterday was a long difficult day in the trailer. The thieves had first tried
to rip the cabinets out of the wall and floor and then gave up. It took a lot of
effort to secure the frame back in place, but that is done. They tried to then
tear the vices out of the counter top and failed and consequently started to
unbolt the vices, but for whatever reason they only took a couple of the bolts
out and then decided to stop, so they must have been disturbed.

All wall fittings were taken out with what looks like a crowbar but they could
have used that on the cabinets, so I am not sure what they did there.

Getting rid of all the finger print dust took hours, so here's some helpfull
hints if it happens to you. Wipe everything down with a shop towel that is dry
first and wear latex gloves and clothes that you don't care about. Once
everything has been wiped down you will need a dry kitchen sponge and some
softscrub and use it sparingly so you don't add a lot of scratches in the
surface. Once you are done with the soft scrub use 409 all purpose cleaner, and
everything comes back looking much better. Make sure you get all the soft scrub
out though!

Still no calls from the insurance - 6 calls on 6 bsuiness days, all logged. This
is absurd. I will be trying a different method on Monday and find a way to get
to another person.

I have managed to get some receipts together, but the total is miniscule. I
believe that emails from the community as 'affadavits' will provide substantive
proof along with the photographs of the pits at Sears that I did actually own
these possessions, but unfortunately no-one has a picture of the inside of the
trailer to prove that the black Kobalt tool box was there. The emails will be
critical, but I will wait until I need them before asking.

Donations have started to arrive, so I will spend today opening boxes and
consolidatig lists. Again, 'thank you' is such an inadequate phrase and I am
sincerely appreciative to everyone that has been so supportive in a multitude of
ways. Without your help and support, it would have taken months to become
remotely operational. You should all give each other a pat on the back and a big
smile! Times like these are what should be in the local news media for the
public to show how warm hearted and caring motorcyclists are.

Many riding groups have expressed interest in getting members together for
seminars, both the hands on type and the more theory based lecture type of
experience. Many have asked if I can do that on an evening at a predetermined
location, after a track day or during a lunch time, and this is certainly
possible. I will try to get this opportnity into the calendar, as I will only be
doing 200 days at the track this year. This is the least I can do to give back
to everyone.

As a result of this experience, I have written a 5 page article on how to
protect what you have, from something as easy as taking pictures through to a
thorough inventory undertaking. This will be finished late today and will be
sent out via Eddy to all the groups and then to other publications such as
Roadracing World, Friction Zone, City Bike etc. If anyone wants to move this
article to other publications, please do so. Theer's no intellectual property
here - just a way for someone not to go through everything I am.

The consolidated 07 calendar will up in the next few days. This will be the
final draft so for those wanting to check my schedule to coordinate with me,
this is pretty much in stone.

Thank you again to everyone. This generosity and caring has been profoundly
moving and motivating at times where I am angry and despondant. I really hope we
catch these people and they get what they deserve. Life in a rugby game facing
the motorcycle community as opposition.

Dave

---------------------------------------------------------------------

there are some cool raffles going on as well, check them out here;
http://www.feelthetrack.com/trailer.html

Eddy AFM#831
http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=27921

·
Nothing to see here...move along
2,463 Posts
Eddy, did the wheel chock for sale ever pan out?

It is amazing how many people have come out to help a truely great guy (even though he turned down our offer of a warm house and free lodging last weekend when he was down for the Cali Speedway race! :laugh)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eddy, did the wheel chock for sale ever pan out?

I don't think so, to many people trying to hard to help out :O maybe

I haven't been paying much attention to the effort to recover the stolen goods, he has some people helping him with that. they check craigs list and ebay for him. I just keep trying to spread the word on the fundraising effort.
and I can tell you that Dave is really appreciative and humbled by the response that we have gotten.:)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All,

A continued heartfelt thanks to you all for all the words of support and
donations. I have next week to rebuild the contents of the trailer and look to
be fully operational by 2/12 in providing all the services I normally can to any
rider.

I have sent Eddy a document created to help all of you protect what you have and
how to have much greater odds of recovering items taken. It has taken a while to
create but it gives you all the lessons I have learned and provides easy and
simple ways for you to get through the process a lot more quickly, purposefully
and with positive energy. If we can all help each other, then perhaps we can
quickly catch the people responsible and get justice dispensed correctly so
these !#$%^ are off the streets.

The 2007 schedule is now posted, so for those looking for help at track days you
can see where I will be. Remember, if you are not riding that day you can still
come along and get the bike set up!

To date, no recovery and no items seen on Craig's List or ebay. Good news - one
rider had almost all his missing items returned to him recently and the ring
responsible for thefts is mostly in custody. Score one for the good guys!

Many thanks and I hope the article gets you motivated to protect what you have!

Dave

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How to protect your trailer, motorcycle, tools, gear and other personal belongings on a sensible budget without getting overly engrossed in a huge project!

I wanted to provide all of this information to as many people as possible so they would be far more prepared than I in the case of theft. If a possession is gone:
1. Get all the paperwork in hand immediately (title, insurance, description).
2. Call the local Police and provide them with everything you have to describe the vehicle and when you last saw it.
3. Canvass neighbors to see if there were any witnesses, all the way down the street. In my case a neighbor that lives a quarter mile away saw the vehicle towing my trailer while he was walking his dog.
4. Send out an email to all appropriate recipients containing:
- pictures of trailer/bike etc
- time and place it was stolen
- contents (simple list)
- unique identifiers (what pattern to look for)

When the Police arrive, if you can copy everything beforehand, give it to them to expedite their work. They can get on the radio immediately with any additional information you may have not included due to the elevated stress levels. Detail is critical. This will really help local authorities in the quick recovery of your property. CD¡¦s will not work ¡V you need to have everything printed out! If it cannot be done there and then do it quickly and get the information to the officer asap.

When the Police leave, call your insurance company with the case numbers provided to you, get a fax or email address for the person you are speaking with and send them all the information. Being ahead of the game like this makes you feel much more positive because everyone will be able to identify your possessions 100% and you can forge ahead in a very pragmatic way. When you are left realizing you just lost it all after the Police Officer leaves, it is deeply devastating, especially if your livelihood has gone.

NOTE: many Police departments routinely cruise flea markets and these unique identifiers can often lead to a huge recovery of missing tools within a week in some cases. Remember that tools go quickly, so the local flea market is a must visit at opening time.

WHY DO ALL THIS?
If you have an inventory list, series of pictures and receipts, this will really speed up the reimbursement check from the insurance company to you. Ideally, build an Excel sheet of purchase date, item and purchase price. No-one needs weeks of negotiating over grey areas ¡V this situation is too stressful especially if these tools are your livelihood. Take a day or more to do this thoroughly, or take a couple of hours to at least make a start to protecting what you have by taking photographs. If nothing else, read this so you know what you can do if you cannot start right away!

FIRST TASK:
Photograph EVERYTHING you own and burn a CD or series of CD¡¦s. This is a great starting point. That includes house (inside and out), vehicles and trailers inside and out, and all bikes, bicycles etc. Keep an organized accordion file full of contents receipts, as that will give you the greatest chance of recovering 100% reimbursement. Store everything in a fire proof safe.

A LITTLE MORE TIME CONSUMING:
There are many ways to create unique identifying marks. The simplest is to devise a pattern and use a center punch to create that pattern into some metal component. Another is to create a center punch with your initials on it, and then stamp everything. Some metals will form to this mark, others will not. In that case, you need to have a small engraver and use the same pattern. If the material is cloth, permanent marker will work well and make sure the name/word is large.

If there are unique identifiers, when you email friends, club members etc and enlist the help of the Police, there is something that will stand up in a court of law and especially if you are at flea markets, pawnbrokers or swap meets and need immediate and 100% identification. When looking for things on web boards, lists or eBay, if the item can immediately be identified, provide all url and seller information you can and notify the owner to call the Police. Many Departments have the ability to track via hosting companies and quickly get a location if that is not available.

FINDING ITEMS:
If you do find the item and it is 100% confirmed as stolen, get a name, email address, phone number, street address, make model and plate number of a vehicle at the place you identified the item ¡V every little bit helps. If you are at a location inspecting the item and the original owner is not close by (ie: 5 miles away or more) remove yourself from the immediate situation. Call the original owner for the case number and then call the local Police Department for immediate assistance.

The motorcycle community is vast and can respond quickly. Unless you have these unique identifiers, even if you see identical items listed for sale that pop up right after the theft, there¡¦s nothing you can do about it, even if someone checks them out for you. That will drive you insane. Trust me.

TRAILER
There are many options available
1. Low Jack system wired into your trailer battery, and/or charged with a small solar panel on the roof.
2. Alarm system that pages you and calls your cell phone if the trailer moves.
3. Wheel locks/boots.
4. Unique small decals (really small) placed in certain locations.
5. Unique stamped pattern on the inside of the frame rails by the hitch (tag with VIN can be removed).
6. Small amount of paint on the inside of the door latch/handle.
7. Add dead bolts to doors and make a fixture for locks on the inside of the rear door(s). The only way in then is to start cutting the trailer apart.
8. Find a good tongue lock that would need to be removed with a grinder.

MOTORCYCLE(S) IN THE TRAILER:
Keep copies of the VIN, engine number and distinctive marks/decals on the motorcycle within immediate reach, including all insurance information. Place a unique identifier on the frame, engine and bodywork out of plain sight.

Scooters sometimes have the VIN as a decal on bodywork so if that has been removed you need some other form of identifying mark.

If the bike will not be used for a while, disconnect and remove the battery so they have to push it even if it is hot wired.

Remove the key and store all keys away from the trailer. No ¡¥hide-a-key¡¨ !

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TOOL BOXES:
If the tools are personal tools and kept at home (or taken out to track days/races etc) they will probably be covered under renters or home owners insurance. If the tools are used weekly for your company, they must be insured with a commercial policy. If you have both, separate them in different tool boxes and label the tool box when you take a picture.

NOTE - SEARS STORE:
If you order tools online at www.sears.com, they will laser engrave all the tools for you ļ with the initials of your choice. Alternatively, Sears has an engraver for $20 with a carbide bit so you can engrave your own design.

TOOLS:
Many tools are lifetime warranty, so do not let the insurance company depreciate them, as old is new replacement cost. If you are buying tools, take this into serious consideration. It may cost you a little more, but in the long run it is well worth it!

1. Keep every receipt from every tool box and tool you have ever bought in a safe place.
2. Place a unique identifying mark on the tool box(es) on the back or underside of the box before you put tools in it.
3. Photograph each drawer of your tool box or each wall of hanging tools.
4. Create a comprehensive list of all tools, ESPECIALLY those you don¡¦t have receipts for. Organize by wrenches, ratchets, sockets, etc and include retail cost!
5. Purchase a small engraver so that you can place the same unique mark on everything that a center punch mark/pattern cannot indent. NOTE: some permanent marker comes off with brake cleaner.
6. Any unique one off tool(s) that you hand make must be individually photographed so that you can explain to the Police and Insurance Agent why the tool does not look like a normal item, how it was made and what it¡¦s use is. These are often more valuable and need to be recognized as such.
7. Once this is done, burn a CD, label it and store the CD in the safe. As new tools are added to the database/document and marked, burn a new CD at appropriate times, but NEVER throw them away. Something is better than nothing.

FURNITURE AND FIXTURES:
All that is needed are receipts and pictures. If it took time to build it yourself, factor that in. Also record any improvements you have made to the trailer. People forget about this when they install wiring, lights, walls etc. That is added value, much the same as extras are listed on bikes and cars at time of trade in.

GENERATORS:
Record serial numbers. Look for other numbers or letter combinations on the main engine. These can sometimes be adhesive labels on outer covers, so find a place on the frame underneath any bodywork or out of plain sight to create a unique identifying mark.

STANDS AND WHEEL CHOCKS:
These never have any serial numbers, but can have a plate from the manufacturer riveted in place. You can stamp them with the punch or remove rubber handles or feet and mark inside the handle or tube. Place the mark out of plain sight so they don¡¦t see it and grind it down. If you have a box of pins or pins are fastened to the side of the stand, mark those too!

SPARE WHEELS AND TIRES:
This is a really tough one. Tires have born on dates and compound numbers. They have a yellow/blue/red spot for placement above the air valve. There seems like there is no way to make this unique. Try placing another yellow spot next to it or another color at 180 degrees to it.
Wheels can be scratched, stamped, be balanced with weight and chrome tape, have a paint mark on them or have an unusual paint/set of decals on them. All of that helps in making a stronger claim that they are yours.

TIRE WARMERS:
Most warmers are cloth so permanent marker will work fine. Make sure the letters are large and in plain sight. Some come with thermostats, so mark the plastic outer housing with the same unique identifier, on all thermostats or plug in digital temp readouts. You can tie a particular kind of knot on the elastic cord, or remove one ¡§D¡¨ ring for further proof. If the warmers are in cases, mark the inside of the handle on the case with the same unique identifier.

EXTENSION CORDS:
You can simply notch the black rubber or plastic plug section of the cord with a unique identifier. Also record the length, color and power rating.

TOW STRAPS AND JUMPER CABLES:
Often have metal components that can be stamped.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Awsome info:hail

two other options (not entirely serious:laugh)

- park on a safe hood, always helps if your neighboor has a much bigger, nicer, more expensive trailer....
- be seen carring a 12ga in and out of the house regularly, make it not obvious to a casual observer wether your home or not....
- have a reputation for keeping large reptiles around the house

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Message from Dave Moss February 21, 2007;

Hi everyone,

The racing season is almost here and already track days are increasing in number
as March looms on the horizon. Thanks to everyone's support, I have been able to
attend all the track days scheduled and support and work with a lot of riders
throughout the state. I now have enough tools to work on bikes with set up and
fine tuning, although there''s a long way to go to get all the specialty
suspension tools together to be able to work on forks and shocks.

The 675 will be missing from the track for a while until I can create enough
cash flow to race again, but thanks to Helimot, I have a new suit!

The article on how to protect your possessions has been very well received from
the emails sent to me, so get on top of that and begin that process!

Your support has also enabled me to concentrate on the AMA season where I will
be working with Celtic Racing to tune for their rider Chaz Davies (another
Brit). I will be leaving for Daytona on 2/28 and gone until 3/10. Without your
help I would have had to decline this incredible opportunity, and that would
have been unfortunate but a necessary decision to make.

more good news:
- due to excellent investigative work, Police arrested several people in
connection with the spate of thefts in Marin and Sonoma. They arrested a
Richmond man believed to be the the ring leader. Police served a warrant on a
Richmond storage facility and found containers full of stolen tools, equipments,
motorcycles etc. One local motorcyclist had all of his possessions returned, and
hopefully many more Sonoma and Marin motorcyclists will be in the same position.
Unfortunately I am not one of the lucky ones as yet but I am hopeful that as
this investigation continues something will show up. I would still like help in
checking Craig's List and ebay for my leathers etc but time to 'celebrate' in
the knowledge that this gang will be doing time. That is good news for everyone!

- Jay and Neil from Vision Wells have spent a huge amount of time producing the
long awaited CRST DVD over the last few months. This product is focused on the
beginning rider up to B group track day rider who wants to learn about
suspension - a seminar section on what controls do what and how they work, a
garage section where forks and shocks are removed from bikes and adjusters
explained, on track footage with cameras on the forks and rear wheel to show how
different settings are manifested, on track footage at Thunderhill with a chase
and follow cam, and many other goodies. We just finished the editing last night
and the disk will go to Texas for production this week. In three weeks we will
get 1,000 copies and be able to sell them via the CRST web site. A portion of
the sales proceeds will go to the rebuilding fund, so thank you Jay and Neil!
There will be a pre-screening on Saturday evening at the Keigwin event at
Thunderhill.

- your support in donating tools etc has allowed me to continue work with
www.onthethrottle.tv. They worked overtime to help me in getting a DVD produced
for sale on track day suspension tuning to create some income to help replace
tools etc. This product is aimed at those who already possess a reasonable
understanding of suspension controls and how they work.The trailer for the DVD
can be watched at: www.onthethrottle.tv an click the suspension tab on the left
side. The DVD is a 2 disk set and was filmed at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah
at an Apex Track day event. Content includes tire analysis and pictures, chassis
set up for individuals, individual adjusters worked on and results seen, and 4
case studies of riders from the beginning to the end of day on Disc 2. OTT
created a e-commerce section in their web site so it can be purchased directly.
Should you choose to buy a DVD from OTT, please send them an email so they can
track the sales and forward me a commission. Thank you
OTT!

Once again, thank you to everyone for your support that enabled me to get back
on my feet. Without you I would be at a desk somewhere answering a phone or
doing something other than being around a community that I love being a part of.

Take care!

dave

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts