TLZone Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of building up a spare motor for the tiller. Plan on just swaping the engines. Then I'll have a pefectly good motor ready to do something with.
I have this 87(i think) Suzuki 250R 4 wheeler complete rolling chassis just siting around.:devious
I was wondering if I could loose the FI and throw a couple of carbs on it?:O 1 problem is if I loose the ECU I loose my ignition. So I would have fuel but no spark.
It sounds easyer to go with a carb, no ECU and stupid fault codes, no costly throttle bodys, no complete wiring harness, no gauges, no need for a fuel pump.
Just a motor with 2 radiators and pod style air filters on the carbs. No BS.Who cares if I loose some power. Whatever I end up with will be more than enuff.:devious Need a steel frame to work with, I'm sure it's gunna take some chopping to get that lump in there. Steel is much easyer FOR ME to work with.
Can it be done? Best way to do the ignition? :O
What do yall think?

G

·
The Flat-track guys run FI and carbs on SV, TL, ans DL motors in AMA. The Electrical system can be set-up to use a more traditional charging and ignition set-up. I took pictures(not digital) at a AMA flat-track race a couple of years back. If I can find some of the pictures I'll scan and post...Scott

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Yep, I've seen pics of the flat track bike too. If it wre me I'd use the FI though, I think it would actually be a lot less work and less expensive than converting it over to carbs and getting them tuned correctly. You should be able to pick up all the FI stuff you need pretty cheep on e-bay or here then its just plug and play. You'd spend as much or more for a pair of suitable FCR's I think.

either way, have fun:D

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
I don't know what the igniton curve looks like, but a carbed SV ignition system could probably be made to work :dunno

I've seen pics of the flat tracker somewhere too. :confused

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
Use an aftermarket ignition setup. Use a huge single carb so you don't have to worry about sync
Add air cooling and valve push rods too :laugh

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
It sounds easyer to go with a carb,
??? no decent carb is simpler than our throttle bodies and the TL is alrady set up for FI ???
no ECU
??? bummer. Darn thing works pretty well. ???
and stupid fault codes
??? what's wrong with obvious problem diagnositc indicators. Without the fault codes we'd be scratching our heads in desperation. ???
no costly throttle bodys
??? cheaper than carbs though ???
no complete wiring harness
??? just a jumble of wires ???
no gauges
??? bummer. But you don't need gauges for FI ???
no need for a fuel pump
??? and tank must be right above to gravity-feed ???

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I don't know what the igniton curve looks like, but a carbed SV ignition system could probably be made to work :dunno

I've seen pics of the flat tracker somewhere too. :confused
Me too!

Probably in my Photobucket account?

And another:

I think this custom TL powered chopper built by a member here is running carbs as well. Well, nope those look like injectors to me. I was trying to contact member MPT Racing today as my GSXR1000 can really use some race bodywork. When I hear back from him I will ask him on a scale of one to ten how difficult was it to try to get that thing to run right with that old technology slapped on. I am pretty sure he did try carbs on there first. FWIW - Grant builds & tunes engines for a living & does so for an AMA level roadrace team. So he kind of knows how to do this stuff.

Me thinks that dumping the throttle bodies & adding carbs & thinking it will be easy to tune is a fantasy. It just ain't that easy folks. Unless you have a lot of experience doing this type of stuff you are in for a rather big surprise. It is way, way easier to leave the throttle bodies & ECU in place & let her rock n' roll.

:devious

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
There it is :devious

·
Registered
4,745 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea I guess it would be easyer keeping it FI. I just figured less parts=easy.
The chopper jast has vel. stacks and no air filters. :dowhat Can't get away with that on a 4 wheeler. Gets to dirty.
What effect would putting pod filters directly on the TB with no stack have?
And the chopper seems to have in external fuel pump. Looks like the way to go. A tiller tank would look preety funny on a 250R.
Has to be the same voltage and GPM rate I assume to not set off any codes.
What kind of rad. is that? Going to 1 rad would be great. Looks a lot cleaner to.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
The chopper obviously has stock FI throttle bodies.

I wonder if forking by Frank in Evanston made him the longer tubes?
And why didn't he just throw the fuel pump into the tank?

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
What effect would putting pod filters directly on the TB with no stack have?
And the chopper seems to have in external fuel pump. Looks like the way to go. Has to be the same voltage and GPM rate I assume to not set off any codes.
The pod filters just have to be very large ones. What to do with tha iarbox sensor is a differnet question.. Each cylinder is big-displacement and think along the lines of more tha twice the size you'd use each carb of a on a four. Think LARGE.

You can throw the pump into the tank. It doesn't have to match all that well, 'cause there's a fuel pressure regulator and return line already on the fual rail with the throttle bodies. Just make sure if you use one that's supposed to be immersed that it is immersed.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I called Grant yesterday & he was a bit busy at the shop to chat about this stuff. Funny timing on all this as there is a set of throttle cables attached to a throttle slide on Ebay right now that the seller claims is off a TLS dirt track bike. The seller resides in New York. Too strange if you ask me...

:idea

1 - 15 of 15 Posts