TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I thought I'd pre-empt my usual last minute scramble and buy my winter run-around now. I don't really know a whole heap of a lot about cars, so I decided to have a browse around a few dealers to ensure I had some come back if it all went pear shaped. Good job really, as it turns out.

I found a car at a local dealer. Whisper it, it's a volvo.:blush 850 SE Auto, M reg. Asked plenty of questions, had a root around in the engine bay and all seemed fine. Was assured that car was in perfect working order. MOT'd until March. Took a test drive, haggled, got a discount and struck a deal. They said they'd put it through their workshop before I collected it. On the day of collection they assured me that the workshop had checked it over and all was ok.

Now, I'm not that trusting so I decided to put the car into my local service centre and get them to give it the once over anyway. Result?

1. Both front flexi brake hoses cut through to cording
  2. Both rear brake discs have excessive corrosion on brake surface
  3. Nearside front anti-roll bar drop link has excessive play
  4. Rear exhaust hanger broken off
  5. Engine/Auto box has an oil leak
  6. Air hose to inlet manifold damaged and drawing air
The last one I knew about. I figured I could replace it myself as it's only a hose.

I'm going to have a conversation with the dealer in the morning. Once I'm sure the forecourt is full of customers. :devil

As far as I can tell, they sold me this heap of shite in the hope that, by the time I found all the faults at its next MOT, or when the brakes failed, it'd be too late for me to prove the faults were there when I bought it. :rant Bunch of feckers!

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
I never trust a car dealer.
I bought a £2500 Peugeot 206, took it to the local main dealer, they said £1600 to get it through the MOT.
I brought it home and my local garage MOT'ed it for £120

Worse than polititians in my eyes

TWATS

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's all such a pain in the arse. At least with a bike the bits are all out on show so if it's fecked it's not that hard to spot.

I really don't like being lied to...

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
:hail Make em have it Mo :hail :hail

Lying pond scum :rant

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's bad enough buying a Volvo in the first place, but a CRAP ONE? :coocoo :banghead

I have since found out that

• My house insurance legal cover will take them on :devil
  • They are in breach of the Sale of Goods Act 1979
  • They are in breach of the Road Traffic Act 1988 S75
That last one is a criminal offence. Naughty naughty. Might have to give the local traffic cops a call if I don't get satisfaction. Along with Trading Standards, of course.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Just think of the damage to their forecourt and stock when you go barreling into it all cos the brakes failed....

D.i.y. would have that lot fixed for a couple of hundred..apart from the oil leaks...they just cheaped out not fixing it themselves...I have had some cracking cars for a couple of hundred quid...just got to be lucky I guess...hope it all goes well for you.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Sorted this out yet Misses?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not yet. :banghead

It's all going to go 'by the book' so I've sent them a fairly stroppy letter telling them I want a refund. They'll be receiving that this morning. I then have to give them an opportunity to respond, even if all they do is ignore me or tell me to piss off.

I'm also going to speak to Trading Standards today. Fortunately I work for a retail company so we have some contacts there.

It's a pain in the arse, but what else can I do? I'll also be keeping any receipts for journeys that I would have done in the car. If it goes to court I'll be getting that back as well.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Stick it to them, or at least threaten to, refund at the least I would hope.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Any more news Mo ? ,

p.s. really good to see you last w/end . thumbsupsmilie

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not yet. I reckon it'll be weeks, not days. I gave them my mobile number in person on Saturday and in my letter which they got on Tuesday but no contact so far.

Perhaps they think I'll just go away? NOT BLOODY LIKELY! :devil

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
:O Mo any news about how you stuffed it to those :jack Volvo Dealers :jack

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I don't understand why the brake hoses would be CUT. They perish like all rubber :devious

They don't cut though - they split where they rotate and bend at the same time.

Corroded brake discs... if unused, that discs will do that. If they are too thin/unserviceable - they won't sort themselves out... but if in generally good nick prior to moth balled... they should be OK (ish).

Roll bar drop link = £15 from auto parts shop?

Rear exhaust hanger broken off? wow - sounds like it has been reversed or rear ended to snap off the bracket (unless badly rusted)... needs a bit of welding!

Oil leak may not be too bad in use?

Air intake hose - wrap duck tape around it :yes

Not TOO bad I;d say for an old banger! You don't say how much you paid (prolly best not huh?).... :laugh

I'd get 'em to sort out the front brake hoses/drop link in one job. Depends what you want to do with car after MOT overdue? Tie up exhaust in right position to avaoid overheating/knocking on body (annoying noises when stop/starting engine).

:O

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts