TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am trying to figure out the best way to do 2nd gear wheelies. I can do the 1st gear ones but the bike just comes up very very fast. I would rather do them in 2nd gear but I just can't seem to figure it out. And by the way, I ride the R model with a hydro clutch. You guys' help would be greatly appreciated.:wheelie

·
Registered
451 Posts
i get the revs up in second, and then stand up and preload the front, and bounce the biaaatch up.

i am to scared to do them in first :(

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
i useually get to around 5.5 6k roll off and wack it open comes right up nice and steady.

:stupid on first gear ones they come up way to harsh.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I haven't been able to do the 2nd gear wheelies yet either. I've done the 1st gear on-off-on wheelies and they come up fairly easy. But you get that one really good one every once in a while that gives you the stains in your pants. The first one I ever did went up so high that the license plate hit the rear tire and folded under.
I'm going to give slipping the clutch a try and see how that brings the bike up in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The biggest obsticle to pull one in second gear is confidence. Got to get your nerve up a little and give it enough revs then pop the clutch. 2nd gear is better than 1st because you don't have to worry about the rev limiter slamming you down.

Practice, practice in a long open lot,(public street isn't a good idea) and you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It will definitely come up if you clutch with enough revs, but I prefer the on off on throttle technique. If your bike is relatively stock you will have to give her a tug to get it up but it will come up nice and smooth unlike first gear. Give it about 50% throttle up to 6 or 7k and then let off you'll feel the front drop and then hit hard and pull up on the front. Have fun and be safe, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
i recomend this

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
Dabeast said:
It will definitely come up if you clutch with enough revs, but I prefer the on off on throttle technique. If your bike is relatively stock you will have to give her a tug to get it up but it will come up nice and smooth unlike first gear. Give it about 50% throttle up to 6 or 7k and then let off you'll feel the front drop and then hit hard and pull up on the front. Have fun and be safe, let us know how it goes.
6-7k RPMs.... ok, that's my problem...

I do the 1st gear on/off/ON and the off part is at 3 to 3.5K RPM.....

once I let it get over 5k and then wacked it.... OMG, went straigt up like Rossi's better then 12'o'clock... I was frickin looking at the gas cap, and wondering where the road went.

need more R's, ok, workin on it.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Rev it up to about 9000rpm's shift into 2nd and grab a fist full of throttle, mine rolls up no problem.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Rifleman said:
once I let it get over 5k and then wacked it.... OMG, went straigt up like Rossi's better then 12'o'clock... I was frickin looking at the gas cap, and wondering where the road went.
Thats the same thing that happened to me.. Damn front end came up so high all i could see was steering damper. I don't particularly like how hard it slammed back down either.
I'll have to give the 2nd gear wheelies another shot.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I normally bring it up in 1st off of the throttle and a gentle... and i do mean gentle tug.. more like a "pause" in the opening of the throttle, then when i cant see the road anymore i shift into 2nd, (headed for a tranny rebuild i know) then when it feels like its going to go over backwards its on to 3rd.... 3rd will gently let your front touch the pavment again. and the panties drop all along the roadsides:laugh

If im going for a second gear ill bring the rpms up to the powerband, and either stand-up (dont forget to strap your huge dangling monster balls to your knees) and give her a little boucing nudge then WOT, or ill just stay sitting and give her a bounce then WOT till those previously dangling monster balls shrivel back to normal size.. then on to 3rd..... For me standing up brings the front really high, really quick. It also seems odd for me to have a tank between my knees, feels too much like im squatting:dowhat

I will say in 3rd sitting down ive landed them at an indicated 115mph with stock gearing... so choose where you do it and what saftey limits you are willing to push.
:cheers and dont starve your engine from getting oil for too long.
Oh... and in full gear of course...:coocoo
Jesse

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm not claiming to be an expert at wheelies, but this is how I learned wheelies on my TLR.

Before you do anything make sure you find a nice secluded spot to try and make sure it's a proper flat smooth streach of road. Practicing wheelies at traffic lights is asking for trouble. Make sure your thinking about your positioning on the bike before each attempt.

The problem I found with clutching the TL is that lack of feel from the hydrolic clutch. If you're going to use the clutch the best advice I can give is don't be afraid of it. Be logical in your aproach and take it one step at a time. It's a torquey bike so you don't need to scream the nuts off it to get it to come up. Basically you want to be accelerating slightly, pull the clutch in normally but only for a second(you don't want the revs to build to high yet), then snap the clutch out. As you let the clutch out you want to get back on the gas but only a fraction at first. Start at a low'ish RPM and slip the clutch a little and see how the bike reacts. You just need to get used to applying the throttle again as you let the clutch out. You only need get on it a bit to catch the front. The more you apply, the faster\higher the bike rises.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
for me i find it best to short shift into 2nd, give it about 3/4 throttle, then dab the clutch. just quickly pull it in and let it out. i do this at about 4-5000rpm. this means when you pop it up your traveling fairly slow 40-50 mph any you have lots of time to play about finding the nalance point. i know when i'm just about right..... i cant see over the screen any more.....

·
Registered
926 Posts
With my 17/41 gearing, all I have to do is roll on hard in 1st to bring it up without haveing a heart attack!:laugh Forget bouncing it, you will end up with it on your chest!:coocoo
I learned "sort of" how to do good looking wheelies on the tiller in 2nd gear. 1st is a little nutty. All I do is roll on steady to 6 to 7(no more than 7) grand then let off quick then snap it up! Your as sky high ad you dare to go.:) Doing them in 3rd over cresting hills at about 85-90 mph is the MOST FUN overall BY FAR!:) :)
A lot of this rev #'s has to do with GEARING!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rifleman said:
6-7k RPMs.... ok, that's my problem...

I do the 1st gear on/off/ON and the off part is at 3 to 3.5K RPM.....

need more R's, ok, workin on it.
My advice was for a second gear wheelie, not first. I personally learned doing them in first, first. Then moved on to second, if you can ride a first gear wheelie second gear is easy and alot smoother. But to each his own good luck and dont try my advice in first that was for second gear incase I wasnt clear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've got a rookie wheelie question for you guys. I live at fairly high altitude, so i'm lacking some power. In 1st I can (on off on) and ride the balance point through the gear, but in second I can't clutch it up where I want it. I've been a little leary about shifting in the air (dunno how hard to hit 2nd) but it's time. Any pointers before I give it a shot?

·
Registered
871 Posts
you can either try to help the bike and bounce or bring it up to 7k and use the clutch.:O

·
Registered
871 Posts
when ride a wheely in first try not using the clutch and just shift into first ????????????

·
Registered
80 Posts
i wouldn't recomend shifting into 2nd from 1st once up. hard on the bike and engine changes to much between the two. i was having a hard time in 2nd gear when i started but when i got my bike better tuned (TB/TPS, TRE, etc) i can do it no problem. for the ones that have not done these recently. DO IT!!! you think the bike is running strong until you do it and then you get so much more after you sync those. if you've done those things and still having trouble, the above advice is great. and a large set of balls. you would be suprized how much a bike is capable of in the right hands. the TLR will and can do it. just my 2 cents. and GL.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts