TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the bike apart, airbox out, wasn't so bad. I run it, it gushes out the fill hole and makes a mess! Can I remove the thermostate, will the oring be Ok, just to see If I can run it up to a moderate temperature to make sure the radiator holds and other. I bet it's the thermostate. I bet whenever the person put this defective radiator in, the previous must have damaged the Tstat, sound logical?
I know you guys are out having fun, but just quickly~ I can run the bike without the Tstat. IF it does OK, it's probably that? I still do not see how to bleed it of air, other than the way Doug said.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, took the thermostat out, put it in boiling water, and it opens at about 190-200degrees, so it's working! bummer~ I'm going to cry, really!! I think I'll just for the heck of it, install the thermostat cover with the rubber gasket, and run the bike and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
You probably can get away with it but remember the system is pressurized so it may want to leak out from that thermostat housing once things get up to temperature. Not a lot of leaway tolerance wise when you are dealing with hot, pressurized things sealing properly. If the thermostat opens if you put it in water that is almost boiling it is not the thermostat. I'd put it back in & look elsewhere. I got 80 miles of fast track riding in on Friday & today is a work on the track bike day...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im really nervous now! I ran the bike without the thermostat; got up to 190ish, the creeped up to 220 slowly and then started gurgling out the cap into the overflow and out the overflow hose. I wish I had another cap to try! The cap from my TLR looks original, and perhaps not sealing, or able to hold pressure. I'm going to the parts store to see if they have cap that may just work for now.
be back, wish me luck

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was't going to run it that way, it was just a test. I'm actualy shaking! I ran the bike with the thermostat out, no cap, when reaching 207 it starts, coolant starts gushing out! With the crappy cap and I have, it regurgitated into the overflow and onto the flow. I hope this doesn't sound correct, but when the bike reaches a certain temperature, and it has a "cracked head" per say, at that temperature it begins sending gas out and pressurizing the system? Am I thinking wrongly? Please tell me I"m wrong!
How do I check for a cracked head in this case? A leak down test? i've heard of those for checking the integrity of the motor.
help! advise

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
It is probably just a cap issue. Relax a bit, chances that it is a head gasket on a bike that new is really a long shot. You would really have to beat the living hell out of it with little coolant in it for that to happen. I have seen two brand new R6's expire on the track this year. Both were built engines though, one was a connecting rod failure (I found a piece of the con rod on the front straight) & the other was a valve that got sucked through the head. I have heard some of the new GSXR 600's have trouble with the titanium valves but I have yet to see that on the track. That's not a head gasket issue. Someone probably just thought you shouldn't ride that bike on the track on Friday. That's how I deal with this nagging stuff when it pops up. Get it fixed & you will have plenty of fun on that thing on the track...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you in the states, I can't tell by your profile. If your in the states, can I speak with you, just make me feel a little better and hear me out?
dnee'

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
I'm wth Dob on this one, it sounds like it's just the cap. I'd relax a bit until you get your hands on a new cap (www.ronayers.com) and see what you have then. I suggest you take your daughter out for an evening of whatever it is mothers and daughters do when they're out without men around. :laugh

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately my daughter is with my ex this weekend, so I'm alone, but I did get my TV working! But I'm going back out into my garage,(I Love my garage!) and re-install the air box and put the thermostat back in.

Update: I ran it with a squirrel cage fan blowing directly onto the radiator, and maintained 185 degrees, but of course when removing the fan, it creeps back up and starts the geyser thing. hm, maybe it is the cap! I hope so!

Thank you all!
I'll be back in a little while.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just curious as to what a new radiator looks like compared to mine. The one from ebay from an '05 has the filler cap at an angle, and mine is straight up and mine radiator doesn't have the sensor. Could mine be bent? or you think it may that way?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Yeah,
I'm in the states, in So. Cali, but was busy working on my bike this afternoon. I've had more than a few bad luck scenarios with my bike just before a track day & even out at the track so I'm starting to get used to this stuff. Was ready to roll out on the track at the Las Vegas M/S a couple months ago & was putting on my leathers when a dust devil made it's way through the pits. It was thrashing canopies & lifting up even well secured canopies. Instead of rolling my bike out from under my EZ-Up I decided to hang onto the one corner of the EZ-Up that had only 50 lbs. of weight securing it & waited just in case the dust devil hit my pit area. The other corners of the EZ-Up had 70 lbs or so on 2 corners & the last corner was strapped to my truck's bumper. So I hang on & the thing shakes a little then I get catapulted up in the air & look down & see my TL way below me! I figure the EZ-Up is going to fly onto the hot pit lane & I will get bodyslammed head first so letting go made the most sense. It was a split second decision & I let go & flew elbow first (& bad leg second) into my parked TLS! The windscreen shattered & my leg felt like hell but I rushed out to the hot pit to chase down & try to collapse the EZ-Up. A couple of riders helped out & we got the canvas off the poles & dragged the mess back off the hot pit lane.

About 2 minutes after I let go of the EZ-Up I got a call on the radio there was a bike down hard at the chicane we put in toward the end of the back straight. The corner worker called for a red flag as the guy barralled into a haybale at speed & bike parts, oil & hay was scattered everywhere on that section of track. The rider was also down on the track & not moving. I was pretty upset I didn't get to ride as I was now hurting pretty good but I could have been out on the track right behind that guy. As we were cleaning up the mess on the track it sunk in that maybe it was better I wasn't out there that session. Sometimes things happen for a reason IMHO...

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Put a new cap on there and re-test it before getting too worried. I doubt it is the head gasket. If it was, you would probably have water in the oil.

I would also leave the thermostat in. It allows the motor to get up to temp quickly, and to keep in in the desired temp operating range. This is better for engine and oil life.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gosh Dob! That's difficult to imagine a dust devil! Is that like a little tornado? GEe, you're right, things maybe do happen for a reason, and I like to think that too! In fact, on this GSXR, after I had taken the lower fairing off, the two hose clamps on the left side were loose and not even on the radiator; If I had taken it to the track(granted it wouldn't have made it that far) but I might have blown a hose and green antifreeze would have messed up the track, and caused terrible things! I have that blue stuff that will replace the anifreeze. In a way, that will be a story to remember; sometimes, or a lot of the time, I forget trackdays from the past of what happened cause nothing significant happened to remember! Like when my TLR transmission went and only made 1 lap, I'lll remember that!!! lol

Duken, the guy that I purchased the bike from is sending me the original radiator from this bike(go figure) and supposedly a check to help out. I honestly didn't think I'd ever hear from him again. If I get it tomorrow, I'll install it; it's not a bad job/ even for me! There's a track day coming up on the 30th and I want to take it there, along with my TLR! So perhaps good things will happen yet! If it happens tomorrow, I'll get it running and hopefully you'll see a thread called "Hell yeah BABy!!" lol

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:kicknuts OH, I'll take the salesman off of my HITLIST if all goes well!! lol

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
mmmmm .. need that harness side plug off that rad :yumyum :lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts