TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a gsxr 1000 camshaft sensor fits tls1000 can only find second hand sensor on the internet

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
The parts fiche shows the 2003 TLR and GSXR1000 use the same cam position sensor, p/n 32160-02F10.

The '97 TLS uses p/n 32160-02F00......the same number as is used in the '98 thru '02 TLR.

What is the difference between the two part numbers? Could be as simple as color. IDK.

The GSXR part you are looking at on eBay will likely work in the TL. However, it would be worth your time to verify that the trigger pin is still in the cam first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I will take a look at the camshaft pin .cheers for the info on the sensor.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Just to round out the picture....

The same cam sensor part number (32160-02F10) is also used in the 2004, '05, and '06 GSXR1000. However, the 2007 GSXR sensor part number changes (33220-21H00) and it is also physically different. It has a cable instead of the integrated connector in the housing.
Therefore, just be mindful of which GSXR model year you are dealing with. 👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess what I just taken off valve cover and the camshaft is broken that's y sensor not reading camshaft the good thing is no damage thank f.ck cheers for the info. Have you got a part number for the rear intake camshaft???

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Guess what I just taken off valve cover and the camshaft is broken ......
Well, that is a significant find. I have seen it once before in another thread. Can you post some photos please?

I don't have any part numbers handy. You'll just have to search the online parts dealers to see what turns up.
Also, used cams come up quite often on eBay. However, I'm not sure how critical the plain bearings are. You may need to source the entire head.

Hopefully, some of the experts will time in.....

·
Registered
523 Posts
Wow!!! The cam journal doesn't look too bad. If your valves check out ok, you might be able to get away with just a cam replacement. It would be worth taking that cam out and measuring the journal to be sure it's ok.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
The cams are individually milled for each head. So you can't buy one and fit it. They will likely interfere.
Elliott, I used to be of that mind also. However, now I am reconsidering the possibilities.

Consider these points:
  • New OEM cams are still available and sold separately – not with the head.
  • Aftermarket cams can be purchased (at least in years past they were available).
  • I often see TL cams listed on eBay or Craigslist, and they are not paired with a head. So, are they useless?
  • I also see heads for sale without valves and cams. Are they paperweights?
You have likely guessed by now that I am not an engine builder. 😁 Still, I understand the need for a good fit between the cam bearing journal and the plain bearing surface in the head.
So then, I'm either overlooking something, or the variance from part to part is not that great and different cams can be installed in a given head without causing a problem.

Where are Sam and Stu when we need them? 😂

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Tony,

Stu was the one that suggested that the cam journals don't always match perfectly. And I can , at a minimum , confirm that was the case on my rear head.

He told me to run my fingernail on the join. I could in fact feel a slight difference.

And I'm not going to tell Stuart he is wrong....

Lol

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
He told me to run my fingernail on the join. I could in fact feel a slight difference.
Are you talking about the "join" (seam) between the head and the cam bearing cap?
I understand that the bearing caps need to stay with the head, as the two halves are bored as one piece, hence they are a matched set.
However, I'm talking about just replacing the cam itself, in an otherwise fully functional head.

Did you have to replace your cam or head at one point Eliott?

And I'm not going to tell Stuart he is wrong....
I can't imagine why not. 🤣😂

I'm not saying anyone is wrong. I'm just looking for some clarification on the issue.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Yes sir... I'm referring to the join.

I didn't have to replace anything luckily... I only had to tap threads. I actually had to thread sert the rear head to put the cover on, but this thread isn't about me!

So maybe you can replace cams! I have a spare engine sitting next to me...

Should we start a Frankenstein experiment?!

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
So maybe you can replace cams! ......
Here we go Eliott........directions from the master. :)
In the thread linked below, Sam changes the cams several times in his race engines with no mention of concern about the bearing cap fitment from cam to cam, or whether the new cams would conflict with the bearing surfaces in the head.

New 1080cc Hits the Dyno :-)

Now Tls tank can get back to fixing his engine! (y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the camshaft set today whoop whoop.checked the valve's all ok I still can't believe there's no damage!!!!
Put new set in today lined up crank shaft and camshaft's no play in any of the rails checked valve distances all good.took a ****ing deep breath and she fired right up like a purring lion. Just got back from a 2 hour test ride .happy as pig in shit running like a dream probably better then before. Next Job slipping clutch bring it on haha.cheers for all the information fellas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts