TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello chaps,

I have a TL1000R (1998) which I have recently taken apart to complete a stator plate change, checked clearances and Shims etc. All shims found to be in tolerance. One of the reasons for completing this was to try and locate a knocking noise that has been noticeable for a while. It appears to be coming from the frontend. I understand that this could be the cam chain tensioner. Does anyone have any other thoughts? Has anyone had this issue themselves and completed a tensioner change and is it possible to make this change without taking the engine apart?

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.

Kind regards,

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Tensioners are more of a rattle than a knock. There's a post from earlier today about cam chain tensioners. Does your noise sound anything like the one in my reply?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi mate,no its not a rattling its more like a fast tapping sound when the engine is warm it gets worse. I think its coming from the front but who knows. could it be the cam chain tensioner and have you fitted one before? if so,is it possible to take off without taking the engine apart?

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Tensioners can be done without dropping the motor.

Tapping sounds could be a shim but if you reckon they are all on spec we'll ignore that. There are assorted other possibilities like the scissor gears or if we're on a doom and gloom trip - a little end.

Can you get a recording and post it up?

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
I don't recall anyone having a tensioner problem on the TL. :O

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,304 Posts
.... so what do you mean by a little end !!?
I'm pretty sure snowblind is referring to the piston-wrist pin-connecting rod assembly when he says "little end."

That would be an uncommon failure. At least, it is not posted on the forum often. ???

On the other hand, a "knocking" sound in a TL engine is NOT a good sign. Most of the time it is an indicator of a "big end" failure. That means the lower connecting rod bearings have failed at the crank end. :(

The experts will help you confirm it shortly.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
So whatever happend with this because this sounds an awful lot like whats going on with my bike right now. It started out as a faint tapping and has progressed to a knock loud enough to be heard over the straight pipe exhaust. Checked valve clearances today but only one intake valve was out of spec. I changed cam chain tensioners prior to checking valve shims and that did nothing.
It doesn't make the noise when running cold, only when warmed up. It does do it in neutral at idle but is most pronounced from 2k to 5k or 6k RPM. And it doesn't seem to have the power it should... this is my first street bike and i dont feel like its trying to kill me at all matter if fact im not so sure it could clutch up in second. I also just rebuilt the bike not the engine the engine us new to the bike but has around 23k miles on it.
Is there any wsy to quantitatively check if its a piston or wrist pin problem without taking the whole mother apart?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts