TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey doug recieved your pm earlier.......this seller says this shock is 11 inches from center of hole, to center of hole, does it look like one that would work for the showa solution?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
it looks like the one i got (a MAL-601) it should say what it is on the sticker.. ask the guy. or ask him to measure the shock body diameter.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
if its 11" center to center its the right one. No need to measure the body as there is no 40mm 11" showa that I am aware of. Sent you more possibles from ebay there looks like there is maybe 5 right now, when you search ebay try main ebay home not ebay motors and f3 shock as that will give you all sections of ebay. This case there is a bunch in ebay stores and if you search motors you will not get the listings in ebay stores.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will purchase the one in the above pic, i am no racer.......i just want to mod for the right price get a little better of a piece of equipment , i will probably never get it re-valved, i will order the spring you recommended, and when i get spring and shock at house, im sure ill have a dozen questions as i follow the steps in your past frequent mod post, some stuff i just cant understand till i have the shock in front of me, i guess ill have plenty of questions on all those special spacers and crap, but im sure you will do your best to help me, like you did everyone else

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
o i just got it
i need to know the price before i jump into it though (SSSA)

sorry back to this thread, I just ordered my new spring

·
Registered
357 Posts
That does not look like the correct one to me, the shock body looks to narrow compared to the resevoirr.

Ask the sell for the number on the shock it is on a yellow sticker near the mount. It says SHOWA and then has a part number below it. ( you can see the sticker in the pic)

My MAL-601 looks just like that one, the MV9-661 on the way has a much fatter shock body.

Chris

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i sent him a message, ill let you guys know what his responce is, so your saying i dont want a MAL-601

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
cbecker33 said:
That does not look like the correct one to me, the shock body looks to narrow compared to the resevoirr.

Ask the sell for the number on the shock it is on a yellow sticker near the mount. It says SHOWA and then has a part number below it. ( you can see the sticker in the pic)

My MAL-601 looks just like that one, the MV9-661 on the way has a much fatter shock body.

Chris
your scaring me chris... the MAL-601 is the 46mm shock isnt it? its the one ive got and it looks likt the one in that pic.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
actualy the one in that pic does look skinnier than mine + the black seal dosnt extend as far up the shock body as mine. But I have a MAL-601.... i think you just did a typo on the MAL number. I think the shock in the pic is the MAL-G01.

:confused

·
Registered
357 Posts
TomM said:
actualy the one in that pic does look skinnier than mine + the black seal dosnt extend as far up the shock body as mine. But I have a MAL-601.... i think you just did a typo on the MAL number. I think the shock in the pic is the MAL-G01.

:confused
:banghead

My apologies...it was a typo...my post should read that the MAL-G01 is the smaller, 41mm shock, not the MAL-601.

Here is a pic of the MAL-G01 (note the length and similarity in size between the resevoir and shock body).

MAL-G01....11.5 inches in length, but only a 41mm, not the desirable 46mm.

Sorry TomN!! :)

Chris

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Some thing funny about all the F3 shock thing is you talk to a Honda guy and they say all F3 shocks are the same, which they defineately are not. Any way some possible ways to sort them out.

11.5" wrong one unless its the MV9-661

11." right one

shock body measures 49mm od. right one

shock body measures 43mm od. wrong one

MAL 601 right one

MAL 621 right one

MV9-661 right one

MAL G01 wrong one I think some will know for shure. This one probably causes the most confusion as in a wrecking yard the label gets scratched and its hard to decifer the G from a 6. Easiest solution is measure it and again a wrecking yard flunky may not measure very accureately between 11" and 11.5".

short reservoir hose. wrong one

In a picture IF the reservoir and the body are next to each other AND the picture is taken fairly straight on, not on an angle as perspective will shift the appearance, the reservoir will be smaller in diameter to the 49mm shock body. I sometimes load the picture in photoshop to lighten it up and increase the size then use a pair of verniers right against the computer screen and compare the widths of the shock and the reservoir.

cannot remember for shure but think a yellow label is wrong and a blue or red label might be right.. Someone else might be able to elaborate on this. I do know a red label is not a gaurantee its correct as it could be 11.5" or 11", think blue label is 11" and yellow label is 11.5"

Basicly my first choice is any 46mm shock which measures 49mm od on the body and anywhere between 11-11.5" long is workable.

If you are absolutely stuck you can use a 11.5" 40mm shock just not what I would call the best choice and there appears to not be a shortage of the other ones around. If you do use an 11.5" shock you do not use a spacer on the top shock mount. Remove the stock spacer as well. Or go easy until you are used to the change in the turn in before you add more ride height.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Here is mine. Says MV9-661 on a silver sticker. Has an 11.5" center to center length with the large body. It also has the long reservoir hose (about 2.5 feet).

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
waiting from reply from the owner , but does this one look closer doug?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
woops here it is

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i just went ahead and ordered this one......off ebay

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
*TLR* said:
waiting from reply from the owner , but does this one look closer doug?
This one I cannot tell from the picture because of the angle the pic was taken on and how single point perspective changes things.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts