TLZone Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any members heading out to Fontucky this weekend for the track day on Saturday & the first round of the WERA West Series on Sunday? Saturday there is no admission charge as it is a combined track day & WERA West practice & Sunday the admission is $10.00. There should be a few new 07's out there running & the weather looks like it will be good. I'll be out there & set up right at the hot pit entrance. Planning on doing some riding on my GSXR1000 on Saturday when I get some breaks & Sunday is a WERA work day for me. Kind of laid back in the AM & then very busy in the afternoon on race day...

Break up the January boredom & come on out. Ride your bike out & have Louis run your bike on his Dynojet mobile dyno. Think he is still only charging $20 for a couple of dyno runs (throwing out one of them). All the tire vendors & their track side race support techs will be out there so you can get a deal on a set of tires. The Race Tech track side support technicians will be out there as well setting up bike suspensions for a very nominal fee. Should be fun...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I wouldn't mind taking my kids out there to look at the bikes and such for a couple hours (or as long as they last and behave.)...Never been, is it relatively informal as far as spectating goes? Any logistics hints? When's the best time to see and hear some on track action?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's relatively informal as far as spectating is concerned. The pits are open & you can mull around. The hot pit area is not restricted to team members & race officials so you can cruise around through the area & get up & close to the action on the hot pit lane. That's where riders are gridded up on race day so you can get unusually close to the action - way closer than you get on a typical AMA or WSB race. Stuff I am seeing on websites confirms there will be some AMA privateers out there doing some shake down testing during the weekend. Usually see that kind of stuff out there this time of year with teams just getting new bikes together wanting to try them out on a track they will be running at later in the year. Not an expensive proposition given it's a track day/WERA race weekend.

Saturday is a track day & WERA practice and Sunday is a WERA race day. The Sunday WERA race schedule is here http://www.wera.com/pages/schedule.htm & available for download in Adobe Acrobat format (that's why I couldn't do a copy & paste). On Saturday the track goes active at 9AM with the first of 2 racer's groups going out for their first practice session of 20 minutes. That is followed by the 2nd racer's group for a 20 minute session & then a combined beginner's & intermediate track day group going out third. That rotation goes through the entire day with no break for lunch until 5PM. I will be out working tech in the early AM, then will be out directing traffic on the pregrid the rest of the day. Come on by & say hi, my silver & black GSXR1000 will be parked under the canopy adjacent to the hot pit entrance & I plan on getting some riding in towards the end of the day on Saturday.

On Sunday practice starts/track goes green at 8AM & practice goes until 10:30AM when we break for lunch. Racing starts at 11:30AM, that's 14 races of 8 laps each. If you look at the schedule you will see classifications of "A", "B" & "C" for bikes. That "A" stands for liter sized bikes, "B" for middleweight bikes & "C" for 600cc bikes. Spectating is available around certain parts of the track, around the exit of the turn 6 sweeper is a good place, so is the entrance to the 2nd chicane (turns 3 & 4). If you show up before lunch starts on race day I can direct you to where the best zones are. After lunch starts my day out there gets very, very busy & intense as I do quite a bit with regard to running the show down on the grid & track. Early in the day it is very laid back for me though so if you come on race day say hi as well. Asking for the guy who rides a TLS is usually a good way to find me...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Allright, I think I got it...pretty much just show up. As far as locating you "Asking for the guy who rides a GSXR is usually a good way to find me...":)

I'll be out there & set up right at the hot pit entrance. Planning on doing some riding on my GSXR1000 on Saturday

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad you made it out. If you would have come back out on Sunday I would have taken you out on the track in a truck & driven you around. The winds kicked up hard early in the AM & just got progressively worse. We delayed the start of practice as there was 40mph sustained winds with gusts up to 70mph! Not good racing weather. I took a few people out & around in a car stopping at various turns to step out & evaluate the wind's affect on that particular turn to determine how safe/dangerous it was out there. Did that while we were in a holding pattern. It did not look good. One part of the track, T20, where you are in a left handed sweeper & getting on the gas & heading on the banking down the main straight was particularly disturbing. There is a concrete wall at the top of the banking there & a chain link fence above that. You are doing about 70 mph coming out of the T20 left hander & are hard on the gas aiming the bike up to the banking at about a 60 degree angle to the banking wall. So you aren't really aiming right at a wall as you hit the banking but for those not to riding at a track with a wall close by it is intimidating. But the wind was blowing in a direction that would blow the bike directly into the banking wall, so at an angle/crosswind at the bike. Pretty much a 30 to 40mph sustained wind that would gust to 70mph. Not good. You are hard on the gas & the front wheel lifts up as you approach the banking so that lifting front wheel would want to blow over rather easily & throw you right at a concrete wall. That's dangerous stuff especially with the gusting wind & absolutely no run off there. Bikes bouncing off a retaining wall that is above a track means the bike would charum (sp?) back down right in front of racers who would be trying hard to just battle the wind much less avoid bouncing & tumbling bikes. My coworkers who race in WERA & some AMA races took issue with my analysis so I urged them to drive out there to take a look. They went out there & came back a short time later shaking their heads saying there is no way they would want to ride hard much less race in those conditions. We waited until 10:45AM & the same coworkers rode scooters out there (I really did not want to ride anything up there) & they came back saying the wind was even worse. The WERA race day was then scrubbed. :banghead

Pretty sad & a really tough thing to do. But as I was talking to some of the AMA regulars it was very cool hearing from these guys they trusted my/our judgement & they thanked us for having the balls not to put racers out there in a place that was dangerous due to the extreme weather. That part of the deal was pretty cool. They knew WERA lost money renting out the facility & even though most spent quite a bit of money to travel they were glad they didn't risk their lives to do what they love to do.

We have run around 100 events at that facility & only one bike crashed in that last turn section of the track. So it is not a common place to crash. And I have ridden on that track in 30 mph sustained winds safely. But the winds were coming out of the West on that day so it was a little tricky going through one of the chicanes but it was easy to adapt to that.

Cool you came out & yes, asking for someone that rode a GSXR out there would have gotten you a "couple" of people to choose from!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts