TLZone Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
A few months ago my TL1000R suffered electrical failure. I smelt a rotten egg smell and then the clocks set on fire.

When I got it back I put a new battery on, it fired up but very unevenly. I was getting 18v across the battery and it was only running on the rear cylinder.

I deduced the rectifier had failed and when i checked the front ignition coil that was also toast. So i replaced the rectifier, clocks, battery and coil. I did then get it to start on both cylinders but it wasnt at all crisp and the front cylinder was misfiring. When I put it into dealer mode it gives a C13 error code so I replaced the air sensor but it still gives a C13 error code. It doesn't seem to want to start at all now and when cranking over it gives huge back fires out the exhaust from the front cylinder.

I'm not really sure what to try next ... any help would be appreciated.

Chris

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Since the C13 error code is persisting, it would be best to pursue the troubleshooting outline in the service manual to see where that leads you. It's not always the sensor itself, but it could be the wiring going to the ECM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm getting the correct 5v at the sensor positive lead and the ground is checking out ok ... I can't see a knackered sensor would actually stop it starting though ... I'm wondering if the ECU is damaged from the excess voltage. I guess theres no way of checking that other than to swap out with another ecu ?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
You may be onto something.....

Since the supply voltage and ground for the IAP sensor are OK, now you can simply verify the sensor output voltage going back to the ECM. If it is within the specs stated in the manual, and it is getting all the way back to the ECM, and
yet the ECM is generating a c13 error code, that's a good indication there was a problem within the module. As you noted, maybe the excessive voltage damaged it.

Sometimes ECMs are available on eBay, and from time to time they can be found in the For Sale Forum here on the Zone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback Six5 ... I'll check what is coming back from the sensor and if that's ok I'll look for an ECU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts