TLZone Forums banner

Buying wrecked TLR

635 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  cobravenom39 
#1 ·
New to the forum, What's up guys!!!

I've been tinkering with getting a TLR for a while now. I currently have an 03 Hayabusa and a Ninja 250r, and I've been in love with the TLR ever since they came out 10 years ago, so I might be adding one to the stable.

I'm thinking about buying a TLR from a local guy an hour away from me, but I think he wants some steep coin for a wrecked TLR. I'll let you guys be the judge.

It's an 03 Yellow/black Tlr with what he says is 10k miles. He said he hit a deer going about 50mph and the front fairing took the brunt of it. He says there's no gauges, missing everything on or attached to the front fairing, side fairings are gone, and a dent in gas tank. He said he thinks the frame and forks are straight, and it doesn't run-he thinks because of the gauges being missing. He said he has a clear title in hand.

He's asking $2K for it, which I think is steep considering what COULD be wrong with it.

I told him to call me if he wants to drop it for a grand, and I'll come pick it up.

What do you guys think??

I see that some of the TLR's are going for $3-4 grand in rideable condition.
Why does this guy think he's gonna drop this thing for $2g's?

See less See more
#3 ·
IMHO there's kind of a floor to the price curve price on 'em of around $1500-$1800 in the very-used-and-crashed retail market 'cause you can part it and still get more. Maybe cheaper if you bid in the salvage auctions and pay wholesale for wrecks.

If the frame is bad that's expensive. Forks are surprisingly affordable; I suspect they're "stronger" than most accidents...LOL. Are you afraid the engine's toast? Bodywork is expensive. Many people would elect to make a streetfighter.

Just after the 1st when his bills are due, call his wife and ask her to ask him if he'd take $1500.

#4 ·
Good idea, LOl.

He just seems kinda busy, so I figured he'd wanna dump it and not have to put the time into parting it out (I've done it-HUGE pain in the ass).

He trolls on these forums, so He knows what they're going for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.