TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if some of you who live near state lines have any experience buying a bike across the border. Is it possible to get the bike there, but not have it registered in that state?

For instance...say I find a good deal at a stealership in Little Rock, can I have them overnight me the paperwork, register it in Texas and then go pick it up with my new Texas plate in Arkansas without having to pay to register it in Arkansas?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I know you only pay tax in the state you register it in, at least for used bikes. I've never bought anything from a dealer. The DR250 I just bought was registerd in RI by the previous owner and I physically met the guy in NY, but only paid taxes to VA.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
:stupid

Every car/bike I ever bought was registered in the city and county where I lived, not bought it. I wouldn't think it would matter, except for the sales tax.

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
:yes

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured it'd be easy enough on a used bike, but I didn't know if the rules applied the same for a new one, what with sales tax and all.

I'm a total expert on bonded titles, but I haven't bought a new bike in some time and never under these circumstances.

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
you pay tax/freight...take the bike. register it in the state your in, and pay the fees there. Some states have a flat fee for taking the bike out, i think MD's was like $90. I only know this from talking to a dealer about it, I have no personal experience with it, cause CA laws are totally jacked. This was a PA to MD deal.

-:banana

·
Registered
127 Posts
I bought my TL in Michigan and rode it back to Indiana though OH w/o a plate and had no problems. The only extra hassle was having to have the bike "inspected" at the BMV when I registered it. This consisted of the lady walking outside and checking the VIN.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I went to Colorado for my tiller and brought it back to Texas, no problems at all. The only stipulation was that I get a Texas inspection on it, and showed the paperwork at the DMV when registering it. :banana

1 - 9 of 9 Posts