TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people have asked about my build, so I thought I might start a build thread. Still a long way to go and will probably take some time to complete.

I've only been into road bikes in recent years and love to tinker. Played around with other projects, now looking for a long term project that will be 'the bike'. I settled on a TL1000S and bought a 1999 model earlier in the year which seemed like a bargain at the time. It has a decent frame to look at, nice v-twin note, and plenty of power.

This is the concept and working towards this look:

bike-concept.jpg

After running into troubles with my last project bike from modifying the frame the aim is to keep the frame 'stock' and keeping a 'relatively' balance of design, performance and budget. Keeping things like the stock wheels and front forks will help to save costs a bit. Would be nice to have some extra light wheels, or carbon Alpina Matrix wheels but maybe some day down the track.

Some interesting features will be:
- Microsquirt electronics
- carbon/kevlar full tank and rear sub-frame
- custom belly pain
- 3D printed fairings,
- and engine overhaul at some stage.

I've been stocking the shelves with parts and slowly going through my list of things to do.

There has been a few challenges. First, I figured I'd try and get it registered as stock which should make things easier than modify then try and register. That's where the fun began. Well, mostly all good when I took it to obtain my Road Worthy Certificate (RWC). Surprised they didn't knock me for my old tyres (I checked the dates and I think one was over 10 years old).

Anyway, the first problem was a leaking fork to pass the RWC. The cost quoted to repair at the shop was $290 AUD. Hmmmm. I figured I could buy the seals online cheap enough and do it myself. At the same time I purchased some stiffer Racetech springs and Racetech rebound gold valves. Welllll... rebuilding forks is harder than it seems. I've since made a few tools (because I'm a cheap ass) to dissemble the fork tubes.

Custom spring compressor:
spring-compressor.jpg

Cartridge remover too:
cartridge-tool.jpg

Cartridge dissembler tool (still a work in progress):
IMG_8358sml.jpg

My dodgy as heck swingarm nut tool:
swingarm-tool.jpg

I've hit a snag and haven't been able to dissemble the fork cartridges yet, but boy that nut is on tight!

Ok, moving on. I started the fork rebuild process. Stripped the bike and removed the forks but didn't I wanted to move the bike and ended up putting it back together again. That's when I noticed something wasn't quite right. The tubes didn't want to line up too well with both the top and bottom yokes without some encouragement. Something seemed bent. (warning bell number 1).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fork alignment
fork-alignment.jpg

I don't think the fork tubes were bent. As you could spin the tubes and it would have been immediately obvious. So, I thought it must be the yokes. Well, I had a new CNC top yoke ready to go on for fat bar conversion, so I decided to order another bottom yoke (secondhand from the UK - thanks caps!).

Top yoke:
topyoke.jpg

Next problem, that tube doesn't look right:
bent-tube.jpg

One tube didn't look too health with a nice dent in it. I'm starting to think the bike has been in an accident, and it doesn't get much better. Before long I found the issue with the steering headstock. Seeing as I'm replacing the bottom yoke and steering stem I figure I'm might as well replace the bearings. Then I find this:

cheese-steering.jpg

bearing-spacer.jpg

The steering stem is out of round. Obviously, somebody has had a go at repairing it. A few dodgy attempt to re-weld which looks a lot like cheese with a shim jammed in the side to hold the bearing! Not good!!! After a lot of back and forth I think the frame really needs to be replaced. Yah! More unexpected stuff to buy! Initially I was thinking to have it rebored with a spacer ring inserted, though too many people were saying it could be out of alignment and the dodgy welding probably hasn't done the frame any favours.

Now looking for a new frame!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course the stock rear dampener had to go. I was lucky enough to spot a Ohlins rear shock online from the US and snatched it up. Of course it didn't come with the appropriate mounting hardware, so I had a mate make one for me out of stainless - just what he had lying around :)

trigger-wheel-and-bracket.jpg

What's that with the bracket you ask? Good question! :)

As I've mentioned I'm replacing all the electronics with a microsquirt system (baby megasquirt) with a wide sensor for easier tuning. This should be waiting for me under the tree along with upgraded 'racing' coils. Because the TL only has 3 trigger teeth the accuracy at higher rpm to determine the crank position for the new ECU isn't ideal. That's why I've add some more teeth, for a total of 22. Effectively this is a 22-2 trigger wheel now :) The race coils should make things easier to setup as well because I've heard issues with interference from standard coils. I'm expecting a world of pain to setup it up, configure and develop the initial maps but I'm up for the challenge! The end goal is having greater flexibility for tuning plus the closed loop from a wide band. Any performance upgrades is going to warrant a remap, and I didn't think the standard ECU or ECU plus an ancient Power Commander 3 was really appealing. This should also allow me greater choice of changing the injectors later too (say to a 10, or is it 12 hole injectors).

The goal is to have a custom fuel tank, custom airbox and maybe connected subframe. I'm think carbon fibre / kevlar. That will be later...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The front faring and side fairing (or 'fin') will be 3D printed, which I'll make a mould and either make out of fibreglass or carbon-fibre.

3D parts and concept:

front-fairing.jpg front-fairing2.jpg front-fairing3.jpg front-fairing4.jpg side-fin.jpg

I have a 2x LED projector lights to go in the centre of the front fairing, plus 2x LED strip lights to might either side. I've tried to keep the headlight unit as compact as possible, as I'm not a fan of those bulky after market headlights.

The sides will mount to the radiator. I need to start think about some radiator and oil cooler guards as well. Hmmmm. Maybe red or silver.... something to get to later.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GSXR front fender. Still need to make some mounting brackets:
gsxr-front-fender.jpg

Hmmm, what else. I've rebuilt the rear brake caliper and master cylinder. New levers and rear pegs. The tank and fuel pump was a mess after the bike had been sitting (with fuel) from the previous owner for 18+ months. New lithium battery. New iridium plugs.

New exhausts. Love these! After hunting around to find a note I liked I found danmoto exhausts which also turned out to be the cheapest by far. Score!

exhaust.jpg

New fuel pump and external fuel filter mod:

fuel-pump-new.jpg fuel-filter.jpg fuel-pump-old.jpg

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Old batter at 4.29kg:
battery-old.jpg

New battery at 0.78kg:
battery-new.jpg

New dash:
new-dash.jpg

Bike before:
bike-before.jpg

Bike after:
bike-after.jpg

Currently have the wheels off being hydro cleaned then onto powder coating. I bought a set of red, and a set of white rim stickers which I'll mix up to give the desired look.

Tomorrow I'll have another crack at trying to the take the suspension cartridges apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts