TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, thats it for this summer. Last nite the temperature crawled below 0 ;( Guess its time to put the bike in the garage before i have to post some snow tls pictures ;)

So tell me, how do you prepare the bike for storage during the winter?

have fun u that can still ride for some time ;)

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
FYI, it's been close to 90F around here. :coocoo Still got a few decent days left of riding in Texas I suppose. :lol

Do a search on "winterize" both here and google.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
It stays just warm enough where I live that I can ride year round. Coldest commute last year was 9 deg F and never got a lot of snow really. Usually there's a few days in the winter where the snow gets too deep to ride.

here's a pic from last winter - about as bad as the snow got.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
I don't winterize mine. I don't ride much when it's really cold either. It sleeps in the basement at about 45-60 degrees all year winter 45-55 degrees and summer around 60-70 degree's. The bike has it made.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I go to the gas station, put fuel stabilizer in it, park the bike inddors in the same place it always is. I start the bike and run it for a half hour or so usually once sometime in January. That's pretty much all I do.

I do have to de-winterize it though.

1. Start the bike

2. roll it out to the driveway

3. go ride

:lol

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Wow, is it that time of year again already?

I guess I'll have to start dedicating my daily rides to those less fortunate again. :laugh

Jasen, according the the farmer's almanac it's supposed to be 20 degrees cooler on average for the entire US this winter.
Might have to look for my jacket liner. :lol

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
They're talking about another "El Nino" coming our way this winter so don't be eager to pack it in just yet.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
:lol one post says its gonna be colder than normal, the next says its gonna be warmer than normal :lol

Just go out and let it run, and take it around the block once a week. always worked for me! but if you're just gonna store it, add fuel stabilizer, fill the tank, change the oil, put it up on stands front and rear if you can to save the tires....I'm sure there's something else too, something with the plugs. I never do all that tho. once it gets almost warm enough, I go out and fire it up and take it around town till my nuts are about to fall off. just make sure the fuel doesn't sit long enought to break down.

·
14,150 Posts
:( Ski season...something those of us in the ride year round climates don't get. Man I gotta get outta town and do some snowboarding this year! :banghead

One nice thing about FI, winterizing is MUCH easier. I didn't winterize my lawn mower and let it sit for three years. My carbs were NASTY!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
its turning cold here, the mornings are usally 50 or so and night time is getting cold....ill pack it up in a month or so...my annual maintance is a little more involved, i tear my bikes plastics off, check for leaks and tighten all the bolts that have loostened, do the valves and tps and tb's, change the oil and lube the chain, and last year i changed my antifreeze, probaly do it again.....of course my bike looked like this before last winter

now it looks like this

·
14,150 Posts
Yea, here in TL land, winterizing means tearing it down and doing some mods. :laugh

Winterizing in Texas means pulling the sweatshirts out of the closet. :thumbup

I do however change the coolant twice a year. In the spring I drain the coolant and replace it with water and water wetter. In the fall I drain and replace with water and antifreeze for the three days it gets below 32F in the middle of the Texas winter. I like to play it on the safe side, don't want to come out and find stuff has burst thanks to frozen coolant.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
hell i live in wi and i dont winter-ize i get her out about once a month last year i think i went 2 months but from time to time i will take her for a ride atleast around the block:D the first year i owned my bike i went 24 months of rideing till i missed atleast one day of rideing a month

·
Registered
358 Posts
MotoTiller said:
Wow, is it that time of year again already?

I guess I'll have to start dedicating my daily rides to those less fortunate again. :laugh

Jasen, according the the farmer's almanac it's supposed to be 20 degrees cooler on average for the entire US this winter.
Might have to look for my jacket liner. :lol
I hate you moto...:drool :drool :drool :bigfinger

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Man, I went for a ride through the interior mountains yesterday & had to zip up my air vents on my jacket arms cos it was just a little bit chilly - 19ºC :laugh Still a month or so to go until those roads are unrideable ...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
this winter is gonna be the first winter for me and my baby.. so its gonna be garaged and i just changed the oil so i dont think this will happen till next season but ill do a coolant flush, i donno about TPS or TBS but thats why the zone is here.. ill worry about it when it starts getting realy cold. for now i just wanna ride :)

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I'm thinking I'll do the same road next thursday, or maybe this sunday ... except, instead of riding 2 hours through Kyoto, I'll just turn around & go back through the mountains :laugh

G

·
clean it, and fill up the gastank. :)

put battery on a charger!

after the winter, remove all dust from your bike, put some fuel product in your tank, change your engine oil, de-rust the brakes, put battery back in,

and off you go! :thumbup

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
LiononaLeash said:
I go to the gas station, put fuel stabilizer in it, park the bike inddors in the same place it always is. I start the bike and run it for a half hour or so usually once sometime in January. That's pretty much all I do.

I do have to de-winterize it though.

1. Start the bike

2. roll it out to the driveway

3. go ride

:lol

:stupid but I also put the battery on a tender to ensure it stays strong for the next season.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts