TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best tools/method for removing the top rad mount bolt that has broken flush with the frame from previous owner?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
JimmyGixxer,

Something like this:

I started with left handed drill bits, then eventually grabbed it with this:

DO NOT use the standard steel hardened extractor. It will break and you will bang your head against a wall... :banghead

Fill out your profile, so we know where you are. I got mine on clearance from Home Depot.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JimmyGixxer,

Something like this:

I started with left handed drill bits, then eventually grabbed it with this:

DO NOT use the standard steel hardened extractor. It will break and you will bang your head against a wall... :banghead

Fill out your profile, so we know where you are. I got mine on clearance from Home Depot.
Exactly like that.
Iv'e used extractors before and they have never worked for me.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I got mine that way from PO. I used a diamond bit on my dremel through the middle of the bolt to clear out an area, then used that Grabbit. It works, not the long hardened steel extractor nightmares, but basically a compact left handed drill cut. The left handed drill bits work well too. Start tiny with a pilot and work out and out, until one catches and pulls her out. With the head sheered, most of the torque is off the threads. I just kept soaking it with PB Blaster and working with my diamond bits.

Hopefully you will then post up a success pic like this: Took me hours...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got mine that way from PO. I used a diamond bit on my dremel through the middle of the bolt to clear out an area, then used that Grabbit. It works, not the long hardened steel extractor nightmares, but basically a compact left handed drill cut. The left handed drill bits work well too. Start tiny with a pilot and work out and out, until one catches and pulls her out. With the head sheered, most of the torque is off the threads. I just kept soaking it with PB Blaster and working with my diamond bits.

Hopefully you will then post up a success pic like this: Took me hours...

I will give it a go if i can find it over here and that PB Blaster seems to be well regarded but we dont have that either.
I will report back.
Cheers

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I had a very similar broken bolt (6mm) in a frame boss recently, but it was about 8mm below the surface because the PO had tried to drill it out, and he failed. I used a Dremel with a small burr with diamond grit on it to cut a slot across the top of it. then it quickly unscrewed with a screwdriver. Took about 30 minutes of fiddling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts