TLZone Forums banner

Breaking in brake rotors and pads

725 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  rufer 
#1 ·
Or bedding them in, whatever you call it ... how to do?

I finally put SK's semi-floaters on and new Galfer pads into fresh tickled up calipers on the TL and with the battery charging (maybe) I should be able to ride this week :doug :doug :doug

What's the procedure to make sure I don't glaze the pads and rotors and mangle the whole lot up? Thanks in advance ;) I go to bed now :D

#2 ·
I've seen different things suggested. I think the only really universal recommendation is to avoid braking for really extended periods of time as you don't want them to get too hot before they are bedded in.

I usually braking lightly for a short distance a few times, then brake harder a few times, then ride like normal.

#3 ·
When I got my new rotors I followed the bedding in instructios to the letter. As Bikepilot said, take it easy for the first few hundred k's and avoid any hard or prolonged braking. I did all this and the buggers still glazed after 1000+ k's. Rubbed the discs and pads with a bit of smooth wet n dry and they've been good for nearly a year:)

#4 ·
It really depends on the pads.
For track, I stopped buying pads that you must break-in, it's a major pain in the ass. The carbon pads I use just need heat and they work.

One very simple trick when you change pads/rotors is to roughten up the rotors radially (from outside towards center or vice versa) using a scotch pad. Don't use sandpaper, just a rough scotch pad. Like that the pads bed in a bit faster.

Greetings
Rufer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.