TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few months ago I noticed my front brakes pulsing a bit. Bled and bled again, torqued my rotors, all that good stuff. I ended up replacing the rotors which fixed the problem; for a while. Now they're pulsing again. I'm kind of at a loss as to what would cause this problem to return with new rotors within 1 or 2k miles. Any help?

·
Registered
992 Posts
It may be caused by the tire too. I had a similar problem and did as you did but then it came back. I took wheel off and then tire from wheel. Had a look at the wheel balancing. Balanced wheel without tire on, then checked again after mounting tire. Did not need to add any weight whatsoever. Problem went away for 3500 miles and still good. (knock wood) So either wheel or tire dont know which but thats worth a try. This isnt meant to be anything other than a maybe so take it for what its worth but, it worked for me. MAYBE you too. Best of luck.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Headstock bearing or loose triple clamp at the headstock is also mentioned as a cause ... or too little compression damping ...?

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Caliper causing a pad to stick? Warped the 1st set andnow has warped the 2nd set?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
:stupid my bet is on the warped rotors again. get new ones, pull the calipers down and put new seals in, clean them all up, etc and you should be good to go. dont forget fresh pads for the new rotors as well :thumbup

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Headstock was loose before I put the last set on, but that was tightened. Looks like I'll be rebuilding some calipers and getting some new pads. Lets hope I don't need new rotors again. With as much money as I have, she'd probably be done 'til next season.

What all do I need to do the brakes? Just the seals?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
yep, theres 2 seals for each piston, so you'll need 12 seal kits (#2 in this image, suzuki p/n 59300-33880)

:EDIT: looking at it further it looks like you may only need 2 kits, one for each caliper, they run $35 or so

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'll go with the stuck piston/warped rotor theory as well...but just as food for thought:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml *

http://www.braketech.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=83&Itemid=100

I don't believe stock sintered pads suffer from the deposition issue due to their abrasive nature, and I don't want to have you chasing your tail, but I figured the deposition info. should be presented at least for knowledge sake.

*PS. Carroll Smith did some of his last work with Stoptech before he died ...so the articles in the white paper section are a definate RCSA and read.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Have you tried re-seating your rotors on the rim after cleaning the contact area really well and making sure its perfectly flat? A slight bit of debis or rust in between the rotor and the rim can make it feel like it's pulsing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
little shot of compressed air, but be careful. If you use too much they will shoot out. I hold the nozzle far away from the hole, instead of sealing it up, and work it closer until they push out.

oooh, just saw you said after they are split...... not sure if air still works?

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
You bolt them back together, then hit them with air - or put the bake line back on and use the MC to pump them out.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
You should put the caliper halves back together, put a rag or piece of wood where the pads usually are and then blow the pistons out using compressed air.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the pistons out, I'll be trying to source some square cut o rings from a hydraulics shop. I'm not spending that amount of money from BB or a dealer. They want $33 PER PISTON

·
Registered
947 Posts
Not so dumb question: did you replace the rotors w/ new or used? Did you replace the pads when you replaced the rotors? I'm assuming also that you only feel the pulsing while braking ....

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pulsing is only when I'm on the brakes, and very slight. The rotors were used but measure out well. I did not replace the pads, but they look good. New ones will be going on of course.

After seeing that they will want $400 for 48 o-rings, and a completely new set of calipers is under $500, I'm blown away that anyone would actually rebuild these.

I really have no idea what to do. My pistons are out, as are all seals. I think I'm going to put everything back together and just ride it, then buy some REAL calipers next season if I have some $$. These prices are ****ed.

I even went to a hydraulics shop to get new rings, thinking they'd be a common size, but apparently the material they use that is resistant to brake fluid makes them hard to find. I'm pretty livid about the whole situation.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Pulsing is only when I'm on the brakes, and very slight. The rotors were used but measure out well. I did not replace the pads, but they look good. New ones will be going on of course.

After seeing that they will want $400 for 48 o-rings, and a completely new set of calipers is under $500, I'm blown away that anyone would actually rebuild these.

I really have no idea what to do. My pistons are out, as are all seals. I think I'm going to put everything back together and just ride it, then buy some REAL calipers next season if I have some $$. These prices are ****ed.

I even went to a hydraulics shop to get new rings, thinking they'd be a common size, but apparently the material they use that is resistant to brake fluid makes them hard to find. I'm pretty livid about the whole situation.
Do a search for a thread I started called FYI OEM prices ... I think I listed brake rebuild rings there - no where near $400!!! I'd guess less than $100 or I wouldn't have had a go at it :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts