TLZone Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, when i'm not on the front barake the pad rattles, there is alot of movement in there! the callipers are in pretty good knick, fluid changed not long ago too!
see that others have removed the dust seal, which i don't fancy doing as its there for a reason.
should i just get the callipers cleaned out with new seals? or is there any other ideas out there??
cheers

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump....anyone?

·
Registered
433 Posts
...may just need a caliper rebuild or...

Have you checked to see if it is the rivets on the carriers (rotors)? ...could be that is the culprit. If you can put it on a stand slowly turn the wheel until you can hear the sound. Or, you could just see if moving the rivets by hand reproduce the sound.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers blknight. but i've taken the cover off the calliper and i can move the inside pad, pivots on the pin. think your right on the rebuild. just don't wanna do it myself and paying for it to be done sucks!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Is it possible that the rotor is bent and is causing the pads in the calipers to open up a little then causing the spacing to slap or clack together with the rotor?
Do you ever feel a varying amount of lever movement when you havnt used the brake in a while (like on a highway) as opposed to in town riding when you are stopping more?
This could be a symptom of a bent or warped rotor.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
dumb question... do your calipers still have the shiny spring metal retainer on the back of each caliper.. that piece of metal keeps enough pressure on the pad assembly to keep it from rattling. I have heard some fellas take them off thinking it will help with the brake cooling. :banghead

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
foster- very good point mate. i have checked the discs, they seem to be fine. i do feel slight lever movement rarely, i think it is down to the pistons sticking a bit. another reason i think it is not the discs is that the pads rattle no matter where they are on the disc.....

zippy- yea they do have the cover on them still. i actually bent them a little to apply more pressure to the pads thinking that maybe they lost thier original shape/strength. did work for a bit, but the rattle came back!

i think(and hope) it is down to the calipers needing a clean and new seals. got some low milage '07 gold ones :devious on the way tho courtesy of SK :hail, hopefully that is a quick fix.

thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts