TLZone Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Hi, Can anybody explain how i get pictures onto the thread, i have tried and all i get is a message instead of pictures. View attachment 59672 ??? Thanks
One of the pads in this photo looks a bit bent or twisted.
Looks very strange.

You said you had the wheels powder coated.
Are the bearings located properly in the wheels. Just wondered if it might be this causing the forks to be pushed apart a few mm's

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi, sorry it’s the angle I took the photo I think, they are straight when looking from the top , bearings I have checked , measured face to face of bearings and all checks out ! I have measured fork centres and are spot on, I checked just Incase they were splaying out. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Hi, sorry it’s the angle I took the photo I think, they are straight when looking from the top , bearings I have checked , measured face to face of bearings and all checks out ! I have measured fork centres and are spot on, I checked just Incase they were splaying out. ��*♂
The only thing that can be making a difference then must be the discs. It is indeed a puzzle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I still had my old discs from a couple of years ago so I put them back on and still the same , of centre, so I put my current ones back on ! I will have to bite the bullet and bring to a garage after my hols , away next Sunday for two weeks! I will still try to solve problem in the mean time if I can and keep everyone updated , appreciate feed back and if nothing else as helped me vent my frustration on the zone , driving me insane.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have just been back in the garage to put wheel back on and calipers and my 8 year old son mithered me to come, and while he was nagging me I didn’t line up caliper properly and when bolted up wasn’t straight and now I have stripped thread totally in caliper , nightmare!

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
the standard thickness of the new disc is 4.8mm to 5.2mm depending on the brand and the minimum service thickness is 4.5mm

Are these brand new discs you have bought and what brand?

Try this, mark your discs with a marker pen to indicate which side is currently facing outwards. remove both discs. Refit them on the opposite sides of the wheel with the marked face facing inwards to see if that makes a difference. (many discs can be fitted either way around)
It would suggest, if so, that the carriers are not perfectly flat. Not a problem if they spin true and straight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi, measured discs other day and measuring at 4.8mm , discs were from I think Abe uk, had great reviews. I will try marking with marker and fitting opposite side during the week , also need to sort my caliper now as I have knackered the thread! Update during week

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Did you ever sort this out?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi, no still not sorted, been on holiday and the night i got back slipped on laminate flooring damaged ligaments and tendons on my knee, just my luck.
So i cant do anything with the TL at the moment as i cant bend or put any pressure on my knee, as soon as i am mobile again i will be back on the mystery :) i have tried everything recommended on the Forum and then some.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Remove the calipers. Loosen the axle pinch bolts. Make sure the axle is correctly fitted and tightened. Then with the pinch bolts loosened bounce your forks a few times compressing them firmly. Snug down the pinch bolts after bouncing, fit the calipers after pushing the pads back into the caliper. Screw in the caliper bolts but leave slightly loose so the caliper can centre itself. Spin the wheel and apply the brakes. This will centre the caliper. Repeat, keep brake on this time and snug down the caliper bolts. This process aligns forks, axle, wheel and calipers.

If someone else has already suggested a similar process, sorry.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts