TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All , it’s been a long time since I used this site, I’ve had problems with my brakes , long story short , they failed on me when I was taking my bike for new tyres, bought new pistons and seals for calipers and front master cylinder rebuild
, well over due , having trouble getting pressure back on brake lever! On another note when calipers back on bike without dust cover I can see the brake discs aren’t central to caliper , this is causing one or if pistons to push out further than it should and other side is jammed against pad and brake disc ! All went back as it should but I can’t figure out what is wrong !! I will try and load some pictures later if I can ! I am presuming they should be central ! any advice welcome

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
You've got the fork l GS in the correct place on the spindle when you tightened up the pinch bolts I take it.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
You've got the fork l GS in the correct place on the spindle when you tightened up the pinch bolts I take it.
Fat fingers. "Forks in the correct place on the spindle" :laugh

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for late reply, been away, pretty sure everything is in the correct place , front disc and wheel are still of so will re assemble tomorrow and double check everything. Will update when done and let you know if everything is all lined up!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI, i have reassembled brake discs on front wheel and put the wheel back on bike, discs fit fine and wheel is all aligned and running true, but when i put calipers back on and brake disc is still of set with caliper. Brake discs are fixed and calipers are fixed and i don't know what the hell is going on! I took the wheel of and brake discs to make sure there was no excessive build up of powder coat since i had the wheels coated a couple of years ago, i know its sounds stupid but i cannot figure out what is wrong and if anything is out and where the problem stems! If i could figure out how to put pictures on thread it would probably be a little clearer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, Can anybody explain how i get pictures onto the thread, i have tried and all i get is a message instead of pictures. IMG-7749.JPG ??? Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bad it worked yeah! IMG-7750.JPG right and left calipers with disc of set, are they suppose to be like this?

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
Just a thought. I've never used TL forks so I could be barking up the wrong tree completely, but the photos suggest that the wheel itself is off center, and this is the only thing I can think of that would explain it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like i said i am at the end of my tether, i've tried changing back to my old discs just in case they sit differently which they didn't, i took discs of to make sure there is no powder coating where the discs bolt to and there ins't, measured from the wheel to the inside of the forks to make sure wheel is central and true, it is true and central! i've asked everyone i know who owns a motorbike or knows anything about them but getting no where.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like i said i am at the end of my tether, i've tried changing back to my old discs just in case they sit differently which they didn't, i took discs of to make sure there is no powder coating where the discs bolt to and there ins't, measured from the wheel to the inside of the forks to make sure wheel is central and true, it is true and central! i've asked everyone i know who owns a motorbike or knows anything about them but getting no where.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
The way I set mine up is to ......
back the pads off the disc.
have the axle in with the pinch bolts undone and the 2 parts of the axle done up tight to each other.
Make sure the female part of the axle is fully home and tighten down the pinch bolts on that side only.
operate the brake via the lever until all the pads are in tight contact with the disc and hold the lever hard.
Release the lever and apply the brakes several times whilst spinning the wheel then hold the brakes on.
tighten the other side axle pinch bolts.
when you release the brakes, providing your pistons are all acting together and one side has not been lazy the discs should be centered in your calipers.

This assumes you have fork legs with no shims and no spacers behind the discs.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
from your photos it looks like the inside pistons are having to move further than the outside pistons almost suggesting the top and bottom yokes are not holding the forks straight but allowing them to flare outwards.

Is your top yoke a really tight fit? It could mean you are pulling the forks out of line.

The centre to centre measurement of the discs should be 134mm

The mounting faces on the hub for the discs should be 130mm

the measurement of the outside face of the wheel bearings to each other should be 136.5mm

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, I appreciate the reply and information, no shims on forks or spacers on discs, I can’t work on bike till weekend but will be using measurements you provided and checking all of them ! I haven’t stopped thinking about the problem and came to the same conclusion today that it as to be the forks, discs can’t move or calipers but disc are out past centre In calipers on both sides , and the only logical solution if possible is to Bring the forks in to align disc in caliper. I will keep updating progress! On another note, can anyone recommend routes or places or sites to see in France ? Going over next year for the first time on the TL ? Cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think you're overthinking it. I had something quite similar to this with one of my calipers when I rebuilt them recently.

For whatever reason, the pistons one side of the disc were much more free than the other side (there was no noticeable difference when I was putting them back together)). The floating disc accommodates the asymmetry as it's designed to do, and it looks like your picture.

I unbolted the caliper again and lifted it clear of the disc. I pushed the "out" pistons back in. Then I put the pad in over them, and zip-tied the pad to the caliper to hold those pistons in. I gently worked the lever to encourage the "in" pistons out. The middle one was surprisingly recalcitrant despite its rebuild. Ungrateful bugger. I did it a couple of times then remounted the caliper. The result was the disc re-centring itself nicely. Only one of my calipers did it, but that was just luck, I expect. The brakes felt a bit shit to start with but inside about 50 miles they have come back to life with a vengeance. They are now super linear, progressive and easy to modulate. They could do with less dead travel at the top of the stroke, but other than that they are pretty good for a 20+ year old design. (I left out the dust seals for improved feel, as many others have).

I think the new seals just jam up a bit until they have had some cycling and found their happy place. I've rebuilt lots of brakes but never encountered this before. Even the rear brake on the same bike didn't do it, but these 6 pot Tokicos definitely have some "character" to them.

France? Milau Bridge and surrounding countryside. Heaven.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have measured all measurements provided and all match up except centre of disc to disc is 137mm which isn’t that far out, I also switched spindle round which made no difference, also measured fork centers and were spot on ! I haven’t got floating discs so there isn’t any give there. I did the same the other day because pistons we’re a little tight on one side and finally when pistons came out equally I tried to put back on the bike but couldn’t because discs weren’t central with calipers ! I finished work early hoping to remedy the problem but back to square one.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I have measured all measurements provided and all match up except centre of disc to disc is 137mm which isn’t that far out, I also switched spindle round which made no difference, also measured fork centers and were spot on ! I haven’t got floating discs so there isn’t any give there. I did the same the other day because pistons we’re a little tight on one side and finally when pistons came out equally I tried to put back on the bike but couldn’t because discs weren’t central with calipers ! I finished work early hoping to remedy the problem but back to square one.
What do you mean when you say you haven't got floating discs?
Do your discs not have the bobbins between the carrier's (the part bolted to the wheel) and the disc itself that the pads rub on?
I can't imagine that you have solid discs on the front like the rear disc on the TL which doesn't have any bobbins.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
As you have mastered the photo upload , can you show a pic of your discs from the side view along with the calipers so we know which you are using

Your discs are not dished in any way on the carrier's are they. The TLS discs are flat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry yes they do have bobbins and no there not dished ! I will take photos tomorrow and upload ! To be honest had a bloody enough ! Driving me insane , thought it might be forks but they are central and true !

1 - 20 of 32 Posts