TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this 2001 tl 1000r I’ve changed plugs, wired thousands different ways did away with ignition brought ignition back no Spark no matter which way I try it I’m desperate thanks in advance......

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,411 Posts
Welcome to the Zone Crowland! (y)

We will need a little bit more information.
Have you been through the 'no spark' list in the manual?
Do you have any history on this TLR?
How is the battery?
Have you checked for error codes?

Any other specific items you have looked at or done to it could be helpful...

·
Premium Member
2001 Suzuki tl1000r
8 Posts
New plugs, just completed Plus mod, replaced ECM off 1000 GSXR new battery working on side stand switch relay now have gone through the harness for kinked or cut wires and checked fuses checked relays new temp sensor…..I’m pretty sure I’ve tried everything

·
Premium Member
2001 Suzuki tl1000r
8 Posts
New plugs, just completed Plus mod, replaced ECM off 1000 GSXR new battery working on side stand switch relay now have gone through the harness for kinked or cut wires and checked fuses checked relays new temp sensor…..I’m pretty sure I’ve tried everything
Forgot to mention fuel pump stopped priming it was priming fine before not sure what happened

·
Registered
579 Posts
So you used a GSXR ECU on you R? Did it actually plug in? I'm asking because I do not know. Also, I may be off base here, but I would encourage you not to use that ECU and find one from a TLR to use. I'm sure the programing is a lot different for a four cylinder bike than a two cylinder one. Again, I'm no expert, but just throwing it out there. The fuel pump priming may have something to do with the ECU change. I'll let Six5 address this though.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Here is the problem......

....., replaced ECM off 1000 GSXR ......
If you are serious, and not just pulling our collective leg, you really can't expect a GSXR ECM to work on a TL. Although the connectors on an old '01-'02 GSXR ECM seem to be the same as TLR connectors (based on internet images), it still won't work.
Even if the pinout is correct, the fuel tables, ignition timing, and sensory feedback will all be different.

Later versions of GSXR ECMs have completely different connectors.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Well I didn’t know
Anyways left old ecm still not getting spark at all getting fire to coils but no rum
When you say, "getting fire to coils," do you mean the 12 volt supply voltage is there? Or have you also verified the trigger pulse from the ECM is present at the coils?

Also, is the fuel pump priming again?

And what did you end up doing with the side stand relay?

Lastly, when you attempt to crank it over, is it in 'dealer mode' so that any error codes generated will be displayed?

·
Premium Member
2001 Suzuki tl1000r
8 Posts
Yes, the +12 volts voltage supply is there, there is no power to the ECM just figured that part out. When I try to crank it gives a CHEC message displayed on the LCD and the fi light comes on (doesn’t blink) and the oil indicator emblem blinks. When I put the bike in dealer mode it doesn’t throw an error code.

Does anyone know if the turn signal/side stand relay can be bypassed? I know it’s a safety feature but just temporarily to get the bike running until I can get a new one.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Yes, the +12 volts voltage supply is there, there is no power to the ECM just figured that part out. When I try to crank it gives a CHEC message displayed on the LCD and the fi light comes on (doesn’t blink) and the oil indicator emblem blinks. When I put the bike in dealer mode it doesn’t throw an error code.
The CHEC icon is displayed because the ECM is not powered up. A common cause for that scenario is an open ignition fuse (#3 in the wiring diagram).

The red LED is illuminated and the oil can icon is flashing because there is no oil pressure since the engine is not running. This is completely normal.

Does anyone know if the turn signal/side stand relay can be bypassed? .......
It is best to bypass the side stand SWITCH, and not the side stand RELAY. They are two different components. The side stand switch ties into the loom on the left side just above the battery, or in that area. It is a green, 2 pin connector. Simply disconnect that connector and rig a jumper wire to contact both terminals on the loom side.

I bypassed both of mine many years ago, but if you are in the habit of leaving the side stand down, by all means replace it. The switch itself can fail and become intermittent because it gets full of Road grime. Also the mounting bolts sometimes loosen, so the kickstand does not keep it engaged as it should.

·
Premium Member
2001 Suzuki tl1000r
8 Posts
Forgot to mention fuel pump stopped priming it was priming fine before not sure what happened
The CHEC icon is displayed because the ECM is not powered up. A common cause for that scenario is an open ignition fuse (#3 in the wiring diagram).

The red LED is illuminated and the oil can icon is flashing because there is no oil pressure since the engine is not running. This is completely normal.

It is best to bypass the side stand SWITCH, and not the side stand RELAY. They are two different components. The side stand switch ties into the loom on the left side just above the battery, or in that area. It is a green, 2 pin connector. Simply disconnect that connector and rig a jumper wire to contact both terminals on the loom side.

I bypassed both of mine many years ago, but if you are in the habit of leaving the side stand down, by all means replace it. The switch itself can fail and become intermittent because it gets full of Road grime. Also the mounting bolts sometimes loosen, so the kickstand does not keep it engaged as it should.
I don’t have the relay….I had to replace it and i guess in all of the aggravation with trying to figure out how to get the bike going I laid it down somewhere and can’t find it. So now I’m back to square one…..is it possible to just bypass the side stand relay?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I don’t have the relay…. I laid it down somewhere and can’t find it. So now I’m back to square one…..is it possible to just bypass the side stand relay?
Yes, it is possible.
When the relay is activated it connects the Black/orange wire with the Orange/black wire.
From there, the power then goes through the kill switch and powers up the ignition system - via the network of Orange/white wires.

Of course, the turn signals will be inactive because the turn signal flasher relay is incorporated into the side stand relay module.

·
Premium Member
2001 Suzuki tl1000r
8 Posts
I have tried bypassing the side stand relay since I don’t have one and rerouted my wiring and still having issue. It will spin over but not fire. The fuel pump won’t come in but I am able to jump the the relay and it will come on. There is fire getting to the pump just can’t get spark to crank.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
...... It will spin over but not fire. The fuel pump won’t come in but I am able to jump the the relay and it will come on. There is fire getting to the pump just can’t get spark to crank.
Is the CHEC icon still displayed when powered up?

If not, have you tried to start it while in dealer mode, and watching for error codes?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts