TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As most probably remember, at the start of the summer I rode my DR250SE from Cambridge MA (just outside Boston) to Alexandria VA and Washington DC for a summer internship.

I got up early to pack up the bike and left Cambridge just before 7am I think. I took all backroads and headed for the Catskills. Predictably, traffic sucked the entire way out of MA, even after getting quite some distance from Boston. There was nothing worth taking a picture of in MA, so no pics for this section.

I eventually arrived at the Catskills. They were ok, but imho are really only nice in comparison to the exceptionally lousy riding found elsewhere in the North East. Admittedly, I didn't ride every road in the Catskills, but I did ride quite a lot of them. A few bits here and there were quite nice, but overall it wasn't terriably twisty, it was more crowded than I'd like and speedlimits were low (but it seemed enforcement was too...).

Entering the Catskills

A nice little waterfall.

One of the better curves in the road.

Yours Truly (new Bell Star working out great!).

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And more pics from the Catskills. There was this one section that was more secluded than the rest and consisted of a narrow, strip of asphalt though the woods. It had some curves, but I wouldn't call it twisty really. It was a fun ride though as there were a lot of interesting little undulations and it wasn't totally straight either. Probably my favorite bit of road I saw on the trip.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Nice, rather short post though :lol

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Still working on it Doug:deal

From the Catskills I headed south though PA and I also rode the entire length of the Delaware Water Gap. The Gap was ok, but nothing to really write home about or even photograph. Lots of lush green vegetation, but no real curves and quite a lot of traffic.

Traffic in the small towns and remote backroads of PA was surprisingly terrible, even in small crappy towns many miles away from any major cities - don't know what the deal was.

I've ridden though Lehigh Valley on the DR before and thought it was quite scenic, but with way too much traffic. Nothing has changed there.

There was also a large number of closed roads/bridges. A couple were many miles after the last oportunity to turn off, but had no detour routing which required significant back-tracking. Though, in theory I suspect an enterprising person on a small dual sport could find away over/around the (seemingly pointless) blockades accross the bridges:rolleyes

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I then made my way to Centrallia PA - a town with an interesting history. Check out the pics, have a guess, then look at the next post:deal

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, any guesses?

Centrallia PA was a thriving town of about 15,000 people at its peak. The town had a practice of burning its garbage in the 1950's. It would seem that this is a rather poor idea for a coal town as they managed to catch an extremely large vein of coal on fire under the town.

The burning coal underground caused the ground to shift and smoke to pour out of the cracks in the earth and even roadway. Many houses were rendered useless due to very high levels of carbonmonoxide. All sorts of things were attempted to put out the fire and/or aleviate the smoke-in-the-house problems. They even tried boring huge holes in the ground fitted with smokestacks to vent the smoke, but even that was uncessfull. Over 50 years later the town is still on fire.

The state of PA purchased the entire town and leased-back land/houses to people who didn't want to leave. As people have left or died, the State has leveled the homes, but left the rest of the town untouched. There are entire subdivisions of roads, powerlines and driveways with no houses - very strange. I'm told the town population is now 4.

The pictures show a major highway that's been destroyed by the underground fire and if you look closely you can see smoke wafting out of the crack in the road. One positive from all this is that one of the "damaged" portions of the road is actually a cleverly disguised table top:devious

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I left Centrallia as the sun was setting and continued on the backroads of PA with a breif stint on Rt 15. There were a few bugs along the way

I couldn't really take pics on the move as it was dark. I motored on and arrived in VA around midnight I think.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
All total, 603 miles in 18 hours and 11 minutes. Stopped only for a few pics and for fuel/restroom. I did stick to backroads which were usually 45mph speedlimits (sometimes 55, sometimes 35 as well), but what really killed the time was all the traffic - just couldn't get away from it.

Looking back on the route, it was a heck of a lot better than slabbing though Jersey, but was nothing too special. IMHO the north east really sucks for riding in comparison with the west or even the Smoky mountains :banghead Still beats a day in the library:clap

The DR250SE did amazingly well considering its a small bore, air cooled dual sport. Comfort wasn't terribly high, but was tolerable. The motor is very smooth with virtually no vibs transmitted to the rider and it didn't miss a beat the entire time. With the Pirelli Scorpion AT tires it sticks like glue in corners too and doesn't much mind if the road is damp, cracked or dirty. There certainly wasn't a surplus of power, but there was enough to cruise at 60-65mph without straining too much.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The route

·
Moderator,
8,238 Posts
Oo! Oo! I knew the answer to Centrallia. What do I win? :confused:laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Prize!

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Cool pics Josh! Such an adventurer.

Perhaps someday after you graduate, a big Husky 610 dual sport might find it's way into your garage. I think I would love one of those. Of all the bikes I have ever owned, I had the most all around stupid fun on my XL600. The Husky is like that, just 10x better. :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, I think a 610 is in order. I'll need something to run to Copper Canyon on:devious

1 - 13 of 13 Posts