TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the end of next week I'm planning to ride one of my DR's from Boston to DC. Since this will be on a small, not terribly comfortable dual sport I figured I'd stick to backroads and try to come up with a somewhat entertaining route. Assuming I get my papers done a day early I'll have two days to make the trip.

I'm thinking something like this for a route
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=334+Harvard+St,+Cambridge,+MA+02139&daddr=Bruynswick-New+Prospect+Rd/County+Rte-398/County+Rte-7/New+Prospect+Rd+to:Burlingham+Rd/County+Rte-61+to:PA-443/PA-895+to:Walnut+St+to:Ridgeview+Rd+to:PA-216/Sticks+Rd+to:MD-97/Old+Washington+Rd+to:Georgia+Ave/MD-97+to:Georgia+Ave/MD-97+to:S+Shirlington+Rd+to:N+Quaker+Ln+to:6600+Glassell+Ct,+Alexandria,+VA+22310&hl=en&geocode=;FaxnewId4o-S-w;FRpaegIdQpaQ-w;FQq-bAIdSBJ4-w;FTvzYAId8ppu-w;FazqXwIdtMRt-w;FQrgXgIduNBs-w;FWayWAIdssto-w;FeCYVgIdUDJo-w;FYSWVgIdojFo-w;FSbDUAId8Mpn-w;FSKaUAIdp8dn-w;&gl=us&mra=mr&mrcr=0&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10,11&dirflg=h&sll=40.069796,-76.358242&sspn=0.102334,0.151062&ie=UTF8&ll=41.376809,-74.119263&spn=6.42084,9.744873&z=7

If anyone is along the way and wants to ride along for a bit that would be great. Also if anyone can recommend a camping area that's somewhere roughly half way or has an empty couch that'd be great too!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
BTW in case anyone is thinking they have deja vu - I've done something sorta similar before:laugh
http://www.tlzone.net/forums/open-forum/78347-ride-report-ny-va-250cc-thumper.html

I'm also a bit torn over what bike to ride. I've got the DR250SE that I rode home from NY. Its pretty well setup for traveling with a rear rack and top box, otherwise mostly stock and well proven. Then I've got this DR350SE that I threw together from parts right before I started school. Its a bit more pimped out with a high compression piston, modded airbox, jetted flat slide pumper carb, 100 extra cc's and has a taller, firmer flatter seat that I prefer. The downside is it could really use a once over as its not really been tended to much since I first put it together and I usually like to re-torque everything after putting a few miles on a bike, its not terribly well proven (have put about 500 miles on it since assembly and it had 600 miles on it when I got it), it has no turn signals and no top box. I'm tempted to take the 350 anyway as I've already made a similar trip on the 250:O

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
when are you plannin on leavin? you're welcome to stop at my place for a bit if you want :thumbup

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably Thursday, possibly Friday - depends on when I get my paper written... I might just stop by:thumbup

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
well I work 9-5:30 both of those days, maybe we can meet up for lunch or something, depending on what time you get that slug out here :laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:laugh sounds good:thumbup

·
Registered
473 Posts
you be going right by my house lol atleast 2 miles from it . when you are on 216 in glen rock you will come to a 4 way stop if you go straight like you plain that turns into 516 if you turn left that turns into 851/steltz rd ,i live 2 miles from the 4 way.if you need a place to rest let me know.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do, thanks!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone else around or know of campgrounds? Glen Rock may be a bit further than I'll make in a day on the 250:) Stopping somewhere around Leigh might be just about in the middle:)

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm in NYC, you're route doesn't even come close to my side of town :O. But if you decide to - you're always welcome, hope you're a dog lover :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I think I'll try to keep to more rural roads though:)

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I'm headin to duncansville PA tomorrow :devious

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like you'll miss out on the DR-Awesomeness this time around then Jensen:laugh

What's up in PA Will?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Ben's new EME Q8 hull :devious

its delicious :drool

will have pics up tomorrow :hail

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:drool will be looking forward to those pics!

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
pics :devious

Eric Malone is a wicked cool guy BTW :hail his dad owns Keystone Kawasaki/Yamaha in Duncansville PA. He's been racing for a long time, has some posters on the wall from his racing back in '92 on a little 650SX :hail

and heres a vid of Eric Malone in Action :hail its from 06, the last time he competed. his mother died of a form of brain cancer in 06 and he hasnt competed since

and Erics Website

its 2" shorter in the back and about 6" shorter in the front than my hull, but just as wide. my stock hull (hull, foam, glue) no hood, weighs 175lbs. My hood weighs around 20. this hull wieghs 55 lbs :scared and the hood is 6 :hail figure my ski has 100hp engine in it. his is going to have a 170+ hp engine in it :drool this is gonna be a fun summer :devious

next time I go over i'll get some nice interior shots.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Cool site! You will have fun this summer.

Bike Pilot...Im in CT, a bit off your trip this time but if you ever need it let me know as I have a fold out couch that can be quite comfy when needed! as long as you dont mind cats and 2 kids under 3! always happy to help out a fellow rider, especially if they are a zoner!:thumbup :pirate5

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That looks sick there Will:drool

Ginness, thanks for the offer:hail I hope to be somewhere in PA before I stop for the night though:D

On that note, anyone in PA want to meet up tomorrow evening or even do a camp-out thing? I'm packing a tent...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 34 Posts