TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 TL1000s, at 95mph it started blowing white smoke, then before the rear tire locked up, i heard crunching sounds like grinding.
Luckily Im still alive. the rear tire locked up and i had to break the chain to roll the bike up onto a pick-up. I assume I need a new motor, any advice for a novice?
The motor has about 40K on it, I kept up on oil changes, did a complete valve adjustment and the bike was running swell, but still stalled now and then under 2000rpm, like when i was at a stop sign or light. I don't want to dump the bike, its really a part of my family. I love driving it and want it to be my absolute last bike.
Anybody have some ideas? Any assistance is appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where in the US are you? Maybe someone near you has a spare engine or can at least come help take a look!
I’m in San Francisco, I think I found a motor, but am wondering if my engine is really that damaged, I drained all the oil out and didn’t find metal ground up in it. Is it possible that the transmission is gone? I had to take the chain off just to roll the bike forward, clutch pulled in doesn’t do anything. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I think I found a motor, but am wondering if my engine is really that damaged, I drained all the oil out and didn’t find metal ground up in it.
If the engine locked up the way you described, it "is really that damaged." 🙁 You didn't find any metal parts when the oil was drained, because the broken pieces are too big and they are still laying in the sump (caught in the screen), or jammed in the gears.

If you have found a replacement engine that runs, pick it up, and then you can take your time repairing this damaged one. 👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, I did find one, just waiting for the shop to open for business again. Although my mechanic suggested that I part the bike out bc buying a used motor has a host of other problems.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Although my mechanic suggested that I part the bike out bc buying a used motor has a host of other problems.
Sometimes yes, but not always. Surprisingly, there have been many owners who parted out their TL with a completely serviceable engine. Often they do it because they want to get more money than they would selling the bike complete. While I may not agree with the practice, I understand their motive.

Then again, if the price is right, some guys (and salvage yards) buy bikes simply to part them out. While there are rarely any guarantees in this activity, if you can find an engine from a reputable seller, it will likely work for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Id rather rebuild it than part it out, I'll do the research and try to find at least one more engine to choose from. I cant say i know anyone reputable short of my mechanic, he's been around awhile, and he doesn't know anyone with a motor for my bike. So I have a long road ahead of me. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have really nice 02 TLR that I would be interested in letting go. It rides great, has about 22k on it, looks great. I have 4 bikes and ride my KTM 1290R most of the time. I am near San Diego, let me know if your interested.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good for you wanting to rebuild it.

I'm in Hayward, so not exactly right there but I can offer encouragement from the near sidelines.

I've got an 85,000 mile Honda VFR750. At about 72k the chain broke and wiped a corner off the engine. I got another engine from eBay and someone else put it in (long story). It's been fine. So that's definitely encouraging. If the rest of the bike is good it feels worth doing. I would encourage you to get a whole engine so as not to mess with the heads. But exhaust, starter, fueling, all that should be easy to transplant.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 02 tlr engine with a blown trans I believe the case halves hsve been compromised but i never split it so i dont know how bad that end of it looks but the top end is good has good compression a few parts were scavenged to rebuild mine but its been setting on my work bench for nearly a year and at this point id pay someone to take the dsmn thing away. If there are any parts you need or want from it let me know. Ill sell parts or the whole think for next to nothing plus shipping. Im in PA. I bought a replacement engine from a guy on ebay out of texas and man i couldn't be happier no drips no runs no errors shoehorned it in the frame and the son of a bitch starts right up. I couldn't believe it. But anyway get ahold of me if itll work for you and you're interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts